Summer 2023 Design Intern, Running Press
Hachette Book Group’s summer internship program offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. To learn more about the company, visit our career site: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/about/careers/
Program dates: June 5th – August 11th (10 weeks)
Location: Partially remote: This position will be based in our Philadelphia office where mandatory attendance will be required two days a week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) per our hybrid remote program. Company laptop will be provided for the duration of the program.
Weekly schedule: 28 hours per week, Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Pay rate: $15/hour
The Running Press design team is seeking a remote summer intern who’s eager to learn about the design side of publishing. This intern will work closely with the design team over the summer to learn the ins and outs of the collaboration between the design and editorial process in publishing.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Intern Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with and assist the design team on all phases of book and/or packaging design from creative concepting through to production
- Tasks include, but are not limited to assisting designers with book cover and interior layouts for books, as well as packaging for other products which include kits, puzzles, and decks
- Attend weekly progress meetings with design and editorial
- Basic knowledge of layouts, typography, line composition, color, and other graphic design fundamentals
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required
- Strong typography and organizational skills preferred
- Compelling portfolio of graphic design work
- Enthusiasm for books and topics Running Press publishes
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.