Production Editor, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Hachette Book Group is seeking a Production Editor to oversee fifty fiction and nonfiction titles per year, including complex illustrated titles, picture books, graphic novels, and middle-grade and young-adult titles. The Production Editor will manage titles for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, an award-winning trade list of picture books and middle-grade and young-adult titles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the production editorial process for fifty titles per year from manuscript to bound book/ebook, including paperback and other format conversions.
- Work closely with various in-house departments including Editorial, Design, and Production to create and monitor production schedules and anticipate and resolve problems.
- Hire and supervise the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers.
- Review copyedited manuscripts, working in MS Word to reconcile copyediting and author markup, and review all stages of manuscripts, text proofs, and electronic blues.
- Style electronic manuscripts in Word in preparation for copyediting.
- Copyedit and proofread jacket and cover materials from original copy through final proof.
- Perform ebook quality review.
- Attend relevant department and interdepartmental meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Three+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in trade publishing and on children’s books, or passion for trade/children's publishing.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Thorough knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style (17th Ed.).
- Strong MS Word skills and knowledge of electronic copyediting and PDF markup. Knowledge of electronic styling a plus.
- Prior experience copyediting and/or proofreading Spanish books or other documents, as well as reviewing the work of freelancers working on Spanish language material, strongly preferred, or demonstrated ability to develop those skills.
- Superior organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail- and accuracy-oriented and have the ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.