Design Assistant, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little Brown for Young Readers is seeking a Design Assistant. The Design Assistant is responsible for the administrative and design support of children’s fiction titles for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. This position will report directly to the Executive Art Director of Fiction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct administrative and design support to the Executive Art Director through clerical tasks, such as processing invoices, preparing and archiving contracts, maintaining Microsoft Outlook calendar and emails, expense reports, as well as assist in the design and production of jackets, covers, and interiors. Also provide general design and administrative support to the fiction design group.
- Work closely with illustrators and photographers in the creation of cover and interior artwork, and oversee out-of-house freelance designers as necessary
- Work closely with the Executive Art Director and design staff to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Oversee 15-20 paperback conversions (covers and interiors) per year, and handle all fiction reprint corrections.
- Be the key point person for external departments to handle asset requests and other general queries.
- Ensure all covers are uploaded onto proprietary database (The Vault) and archive documents and mechanicals appropriately.
- Assist in managing a master schedule of books to make sure key production, marketing and sales milestone dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Art Director or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- B.A. in Graphic Design or related field preferred
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
- Operates ethically: admits mistakes, treats others with respect, trust, and dignity, demonstrates honest and ethical behavior, and follows through on commitments and agreements
- Be comfortable with both administrative duties as well as more creative/design related tasks
- Must be proficient in the Macintosh operating system — knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office required. Working knowledge of animation and web design software is a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $41,000-$45,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.