Editorial Assistant, Moon Travel Guides
Moon Travel Guides was founded in 1973 with a mission to advocate for independent, active, and conscious travel. We started out with guides to Asia printed by founder Bill Dalton on a Xerox machine—and nowadays, we are the #1 publisher of travel guides to the Americas and have expanded our coverage globally. We are published by Avalon Travel, a Hachette Book Group company. Our program is simple: Wherever we cover, we prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably; we look for authors who share those values and are excited to share their destinations with the world.
We are seeking an Editorial Assistant to support a team of acquisitions editors and managing editors on various aspects of the editorial process, from author recruitment to manuscript development and proofreading. This is a multifaceted role that interacts with the business side of publishing through compiling competition sales reports, processing payments, and data entry; the creative side of publishing through assisting with text and photo submissions; and the production side of publishing through supporting schedule creation and manuscript corrections. This is a unique opportunity for a motivated, editorially minded individual who loves travel to gain a big-picture understanding of the book publishing process, as well as hone specific editorial skills, while learning about places around the world.
The ideal candidate has excellent organizational skills and a positive and thoughtful approach to work; is detail-oriented and a thorough learner; and enjoys interacting with various people, from colleagues in the Berkeley office to writers in international locales.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting with the author recruitment and pre-acquisition process, such as identifying potential writers in target destinations, researching competition books, and entering title information into company systems
- Organizing and creating manuscript templates and other resources for authors
- Organizing photo submissions and map information
- Assisting with production editing, such as entering manuscript corrections, proofreading, and checking alterations
- Processing and tracking payments for authors and vendors
- Collating relevant book-related documentation to be distributed to various team members
- Attending and recording notes at meetings
- Providing a wide range of other administrative support
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong interest in publishing and travel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to communicate and interact productively with colleagues in different departments and locations
- Creative and critical thinking
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work well within tight deadlines and competing demands
- Flexible and positive attitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office on both Mac and Windows platforms and a fearless attitude toward technology
- Prior publishing or related experience a plus
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $45,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.