Senior Editor, Hachette Nashville
The Senior Editor acquires and manages book projects that contribute to the vibrant trade list at Hachette Nashville. Responsible for acquiring 12-15 projects each year across the faith-based and conservative political trade lists, this role also oversees and analyzes book budgets, ensuring achievement of sales, profit and return-on-investment goals. The position will be based in Nashville, TN.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acquire and manage projects from a variety of sources including seasoned authors with a proven track record, as well as up-and-coming influencers with a following
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with authors and agents, ensuring a diverse flow of proposals for consideration
- Assist in developing marketing plans for acquired titles and plans for author development and branding, in collaboration with VP, Marketing
- Represent division at trade shows and industry events
- Develop and manage individual book budgets and P & L statements in collaboration with the Production team and Finance Director.
- Review all contracts for titles of responsibility and manage them from signing to payment process.
- Compile, analyze and provide financial information to Finance Director such as unit costs, royalty advances, etc. for all titles
- Participate in post-pub analysis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 3-5 years acquisitions experience with a proven track record of acquiring and editing profitable titles.
- Solid knowledge of book publishing processes and functions – Editorial, Managing Editorial, Production, Design, Copyediting and Marketing.
- Strong contacts in Christian and conservative book publishing industry and knowledgeable of publishing and cultural trends that impact Christian living, politics, popular culture, publishing and entertainment
- Experience developing and managing budgets for book projects
- Proven aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings to diverse audiences.
- Must be results driven and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations and problem-solving as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
- An ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.