Junior Designer, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking a talented Junior Designer who will be responsible for the design of a dynamic list of licensed properties, in-house IP, and trade graphic novels. This includes a wide variety of categories such as picture book, novelty, middle grade, young adult, graphic novel, fiction, and non-fiction. Working alongside the Art Director, this person will be responsible for seeing each project through the design process, including conception, approval, and production as well as providing general support for the design group in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create cover and interior mechanicals, as well as novelty components (stickers, posters, perf cards, box sets) from conception through the approvals process and prepping files for print.
- Work closely with illustrators, freelancers, photographers, and licensors in the creation of cover and interior artwork while maintaining schedule and budget constraints.
- Work directly with the Art Director, Editorial, Sales, Marketing, and Licensors to conceptualize cover designs.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of the book, and can translate into multiple formats as well as advertising, sales and promotional materials for key titles on an as needed basis.
- Manage schedules and licensor approvals of assigned projects to make sure key marketing, sales, and production dates are met.
- Work closely with the Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket, sales, and marketing meetings.
- Perform reprint corrections on cover and interior files as needed.
- Manage select administrative tasks for the design group including uploading covers onto proprietary database (The Vault), archiving files, and making sure “milestone dates” are recorded in Title Management database.
- Bring new ideas to the group for workflow, processes, artists/illustrators, and book concepts
- Perform other administrative and design duties as assigned by the Art Director or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (Picture Books, Graphic Novels, Young Adult, Middle Grade, Chapter Books, 8x8’s, Junior Novels, Interactive Novelty Books, Sticker Books)
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; working knowledge of PDF workflow a plus.
- Ability to maneuver through complex licensor approval processes and work with complex style guides.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Ability to stay current on top of new print and digital design trends
- Solid print production experience required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A familiarity and enthusiasm for pop culture, film, television, and licensed toy brands
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.