Editor/Senior Editor, Basic Books
Basic Books is seeking an Editor or Senior Editor to acquire and edit serious nonfiction for the Basic Books list. The editor will be responsible for acquiring and publishing approximately 10 new hardcover titles per year in areas complementing Basic’s existing publishing programs in history and science. The successful candidate will have a strong background in working with top experts in a range of fields to develop book ideas for a general readership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Commissioning, acquiring, and editing manuscripts for publication.
- Successfully negotiating deals.
- Working effectively with authors and agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to through publication date and beyond.
- Supervising the production process by acting as the in-house liaison between editorial and the production, design, and managing editorial departments.
- Collaborating with the publicity and marketing teams to package and position books.
- Developing 2-4 backlist revisions each year
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent conceptual and line-editing abilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years’ editorial experience.
- Broad knowledge of, and interest in, nonfiction subject areas and publishing categories.
- Contacts among authors, writers, academics, journalists, or literary agents, or demonstrated ability to develop such contacts.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other groups, companies, and organizations on shared long-term projects.
- An understanding of and an appreciation for the ideas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in addition to solid computer skills.
- Ability to deliver timely, accurate work and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team setting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.