Hachette Book Group is seeking a Counsel to handle a range of commercial transactions, licensing, data privacy, intellectual property, business affairs and other general matters. This is a hands-on position for someone who will serve as a trusted business partner, providing strategic, creative and problem-solving advice for staff at all levels of the company. This attorney will be joining a legal team based in New York and supporting multiple offices and all aspects of company business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft and negotiate a range of commercial agreements, including services and technology agreements, content licensing and distribution agreements, and other day-to-day operational contracts
- Provide strategic legal advice to business teams regarding data processing and privacy compliance
- Counsel 1-2 publishing units on copyright, trademark, licensing and permissions issues
- Work cross-functionally to identify legal risks and provide strategic, practical and creative legal guidance including contract templates and topical guidelines
- Perform special projects and other assignments as requested, including M&A
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to the New York Bar
- At least 3+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably a combination of in-house experience and foundational training at a law firm
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills
- Experience with commercial transactions, including licensing, branding and promotions
- Superior organization, project management skills and attention to detail, necessary to support and advise business units and ensure projects are completely in a timely and effective manner
- Ability to spot problems, make risk assessments and make nuanced recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic objectives of the company
- Ability to work independently, results-oriented and creative thinker
- Knowledge of media law and trends
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients at all levels of the organization, enjoy a fast-paced work environment and prioritize and multi-task
- Working knowledge of data privacy, M&A, and/or corporate governance a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.