Senior Production Associate, Children's Books
The Senior Production Associate will oversee the composition and manufacturing of print and eBooks for the children’s publishing program across all imprints. The position will be responsible for primarily 4-color children’s titles and occasional 1-color children’s titles in a wide array of formats, including hardcover, paperback, gift and novelty. The position works closely with the Managing Editorial, Editorial, and Design departments as well as outside composition and print vendors, both domestic and overseas, to produce high quality print and eBooks on very aggressive schedules, all within budget constraints.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all phases of print book production and manufacturing, from composition through final delivery. Includes supervision of typesetting, color separation from digital and original artwork, prepress, components, printing, and binding, plus basic safety compliance oversight.
- Proactively maintain and monitor production schedules. Coordinate with outside vendors (in the US and overseas) as well as in-house managing editorial, design, and inventory to ensure on-time delivery.
- Closely monitor vendor and freight forwarder shipping and status reports to assess on-time delivery, taking necessary actions early to mitigate delays or communicate extent of delays to relevant parties in-house.
- Supervise outside vendors (in the US and overseas) to closely regulate supplier performance and ensure that all schedule, quality, and budget requirements are met in the face of constantly shifting timelines and exacting licensor expectations.
- Analyze production specifications to propose cost-saving measures, oversee cost estimating, production scheduling, proof trafficking, tracking and updating statuses, and ordering retouching and color correction.
- Oversee production of eBooks, in a variety of fixed and reflowable formats, utilizing an outside conversion house.
- Create and update budgets and cost estimates, both seasonally and on a title-by-title basis.
- Prepare purchase orders and shipping instructions from HBG’s title management system.
- Attend and participate in weekly production meetings and color proof review meetings.
- May attend occasional press checks (with supervision).
- Work under minimal supervision, keeping Senior Manager and imprint informed of any service disruption or vendor quality issues. Communicate such issues to the vendor in collaboration with Senior Manager.
- Maintain accurate specification and scheduling information in company databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3-5 years experience in manufacturing; experience working with 4-color books and with both domestic and overseas suppliers preferred
- Color assessment skills, including the ability to provide basic and complex instruction and color correction directives to outside prepress and re-touchers.
- Comfort with Adobe Creative Suite and basic file preflight, specifically InDesign and Acrobat.
- Must be creative, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Self-starter requiring minimal supervision, who can also collaborate well with a diverse team of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Excel, basic math, calculating, analyzing and organizing data.
- Thorough, accurate, and articulate verbal and written communication skills with the ability to manage vendor relations.
- Experience with digital asset management systems.
- Seeks continuous improvement and innovative solutions.
- Maintains grace under pressure in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.