Editor, Business & Coaching - Nicholas Brealey
Nicholas Brealey Publishing (NB), which was acquired by the Hachette Book Group 5 years ago, is looking for an energetic and experienced editor with a track record in acquiring successful and profitable non-fiction acquisitions in the areas of Business, Coaching, Leadership, Self-Help, Popular Psychology and Cross-cultural studies for the trade, academic and executive education markets. The role offers a rare chance to shape a well-established, internationally-focused and profitable Business list within a creative and supportive environment. The position will be based in the US (Boston or Remote preferred) and will work closely with the NB teams in Hachette Book Group's Boston office and London, with the possibility for some wider international travel.
ABOUT NICHOLAS BREALEY:
NB is a market leader in coaching and publishes for professionals who want to develop their knowledge and practice through executive education. NB was founded over 25 years ago. Its specialist non-fiction list boasts a number of category-killing titles including: Co-active Coaching, Coaching for Performance, Gifts Differing (the source book behind the Myers-Briggs test), and international editions of works by Tom Peters and Martin Seligman. The US office also publishes titles under the Davies-Black imprint and a highly respected range of Cross-cultural titles under the Intercultural Press brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Solicit, acquire, and edit manuscripts for publication.
- Successfully negotiate contracts.
- Work effectively with authors and agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to through publication date and beyond.
- Supervise the production process by acting as the in-house liaison between editorial and the production, design, and managing editorial departments.
- Collaborate with the publicity, marketing and sales teams to package and position books.
- Solicit and develop backlist revisions each year
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least 5 years’ experience in commissioning non-fiction
- Established contacts through key business and coaching communities, a strong understanding of the market, and a broad international outlook
- The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in commissioning non-fiction
- Knowledge of metadata; Digital experience would be an advantage