Associate Art Director, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking to hire for the position of Associate Art Director. The Associate Art Director will be responsible for the design of children’s picture book and novelty titles for the Young Readers list. This person will be responsible for seeing each project through the design process, including dummies, sketches, final artwork, and preparing files for production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate closely with the editors, artists, and authors in the creation of cover and interior artwork, from sketches to final art.
- Work closely with editors and the Art Director in designing the cover and interior packaging.
- Work closely with the Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Oversee select in-house design staff and out-of-house freelance designers as necessary
- Ensure all covers and related sales assets are uploaded into proprietary database (The Vault) and archive documents appropriately.
- Assist in managing a master schedule of books to make sure key Production, Marketing and Sales milestone dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Art Director, Creative Director, or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in book publishing design required – experience in children’s books preferred.
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required; working knowledge of PDF workflow a plus.
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (Picture Books, Novelty Books, 6x9 Readers), as well as literary and commercial markets.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house artists and freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Solid print production and color correction experience required. (Experience with digital production also preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.