Assistant Editor/Associate Editor, Running Press
Running Press, a Philadelphia-based imprint of Perseus Books, a Hachette Book Group company, is seeking an Associate or Assistant Editor to support an Executive Editor and Senior Editor and also acquire and edit titles for Running Press, to be based in Philadelphia or New York.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop relationships with literary agents, authors, artists, and other creative communities with the goal of acquiring books for Running Press.
- Edit and develop manuscripts and guide projects through all stages of the editorial process.
- Participate in brainstorming meetings and share ideas for books, stationery, and other related products.
- Review book proposals from literary agents and discuss with editorial team.
- Work with licensors to craft concepts and bring projects through all stages of approval.
- Interact professionally with authors and their literary agents, licensors, and internal departments within Running Press and Hachette, including design, publicity, marketing, production, and sales.
- Draft descriptive copy that will be used to explain and position books to the sales and marketing departments.
- Research trends, formats, and book sales to aid in acquisition and development, using internal and external databases.
- Draft and circulate contract forms, process check requests, and send out payments and executed contracts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will:
- Have a college degree.
- Have 3+ years editorial experience in book, magazine, or digital publishing. Candidates with experience working in the arts or entertainments fields with demonstrated editorial proficiency are also encouraged to apply
- Have a strong interest in illustrated books, stationery, and related products.
- Be open minded and curious about visual and popular culture.
- Be passionate about the creative process and comfortable sharing ideas with others.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Be highly organized, capable of multi-tasking, and detail-oriented.
- Be able to work effectively with colleagues at every level of seniority.
- Be self-motivated and able to manage projects independently.
- Demonstrate imagination, creativity, and original thinking.
- Be able to develop ideas from concept stage to final product.
- Be comfortable using email, calendar management, and file management tools.
- Be familiar with Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel or other like tools.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $44,000-$50,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.