Assistant Production Editor
Hachette Book Group is seeking an Assistant Production Editor to assist in managing the Little, Brown Books for Young Readers graphic novel, licensed book, and trade book programs from manuscript to bound book/e-book. The Assistant Production Editor will support LBYR’s growing graphic novel list and best-in-class licensed publishing program, as well as on LBYR’s award-winning trade list of picture books, and middle grade and young adult fiction and nonfiction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Traffic books through copyediting, typesetting, proofreading, licensor/editor review, and printing to meet deadlines and ensure overall quality.
- Manage the scheduling and trafficking of routing reprints, interfacing with the Reprints Production group, reviewing Editorial changes, and scheduling assignments with the Design department.
- Work closely with Editorial, Design, and Production departments to monitor production schedules and communicate with licensors, authors, artists, and typesetters as needed.
- Style electronic manuscripts in preparation for copyediting.
- Assign, manage, and review the work of freelance copy editors and proofreaders throughout the production stages from manuscript through electronic blues.
- Copyedit and proofread jacket and cover materials from setting copy through final proof.
- Perform e-book quality review.
- Perform departmental administrative tasks such as CIP data submissions, freelancer contract maintenance, invoicing, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 1–2 years prior book publishing experience, preferably in children’s trade publishing.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Thorough knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed.).
- Strong MS Word skills.
- Superior organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well independently, under pressure, and within tight deadlines by prioritizing tasks and managing time effectively.
Candidate must be detail- and accuracy-oriented and have the ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.