The Editor will acquire and edit fiction and non-fiction titles and oversee projects through the entire publishing process for our Hachette Nashville division which focuses on religious books of all Christian denominations. The Editor will distinguish bestseller potential by identifying, cultivating, and publishing new authors, as well as help to build upon the success of current authors and titles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the in-house advocate for the Hachette Nashville division and promote its authors and titles within the organization.
- Solicit, read, evaluate and develop manuscripts and proposals for possible acquisition.
- Manage acquired books through the process, and in doing so, collaborate with authors on changes in style, content and format of books, and with illustrators, on design of books.
- Work with publicity, art, sales and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort for each title.
- Create original and compelling cover copy for titles.
- Establish and coordinate editorial/production schedules to ensure all projects are met in a timely manner.
- Research and provide information and strategic recommendations to senior leadership team, with the goal of broadening the reach of the imprint.
- Liase with Legal and Contracts department to draft, create, and negotiate contracts with authors and agents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s or related degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in faith/inspirational publishing.
- A thorough understanding of the overall publishing process and a firm understanding of the financial aspects of trade book publishing.
- Editorial expertise in both line editing and conceptual editing.
- Passionate about the written word.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, creative individual with exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Attentive to details in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong initiative and judgment. Results-oriented and ability to work well independently as well as in collaborative or team environments.
- A leader who possesses experience and a style that will create trust and confidence.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow-up and follow-through.
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.