Director of Patterson Paperbacks, James Patterson Books
The Director of James Patterson Paperbacks will oversee the publishing strategy and development of the James Patterson Paperback program for the author’s adult title program—both fiction and nonfiction, originals and reissues. This innovative program is part of the James Patterson publishing program, and the Director will oversee all aspects of the paperback publication process. The Director will work closely with the Publisher on list placement and positioning and will coordinate with editorial, marketing, publicity, and sales to achieve optimum sales and profit results. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for strategy and development of all media tie-in opportunities—in all formats—and will be the point person in relationships with external partners who are adapting the author’s books and characters for other media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all stages of publication of paperback editions of James Patterson’s books, including paperback originals, trade paperback reprints, mass market reprints, and reissues of backlist titles.
- Originate copy for covers and interiors, transmit and work with managing editorial and production teams on creating books.
- Oversee scheduling of publications, and schedule all transmittals to meet publication schedules.
- Originate cover art concepts and work with design team and author on all packaging decisions.
- Identify and develop relationships with TV/film studios and other outside entities to develop tie-in editions of selected titles.
- Serve as in-house advocate for the authors’ titles; work with editorial, publicity, design, sales and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort for each release.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 8 years of publishing experience with a focus on commercial fiction.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and promote commercially successful paperbacks.
- Experience working with designers and the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with authors, agents, and publishing staff.
- In-depth knowledge of the retail landscape—trade, mass merchants, online.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and negotiation skills, strong initiative and judgment.
- Strong computer skills and project management skills and a demonstrated knowledge of the book design and production process.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization—we aspire to be the tightest (but not uptight!) team in publishing!
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $120,000-$140,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.