Production Associate – BOULDER, CO (Hachette Books Frontlist)
The Hachette Book Group is seeking a Production Associate to coordinate manufacturing responsibilities for frontlist hardcover, paperback, and mass market formats for books published by its adult trade divisions: Grand Central Publishing; Little, Brown; Orbit; Faith Words; Center Street; and Hachette Books. These primary responsibilities include costing, scheduling, and ordering manufacturing. This role is located in Hachette’s Boulder office on a hybrid basis and will require collaborating with teams based in our New York, Boston, and Nashville offices.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated to ensure all assigned titles are manufactured to the highest degree of quality and delivered on time in order to make expected warehouse release dates. Candidates need to be capable of working in a deadline-driven and team-oriented environment. Candidates must be able to work well with all vendors, editors, designers, production coordinators, inventory coordinators, and sales representatives in local and remote offices to execute successfully the responsibilities listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively and efficiently coordinates all phases of project production and manufacturing dealing with editorial, design, sales, inventory, and marketing departments.
- Monitors production schedules through coordination with outside vendors as well as all relevant in-house departments to ensure on-time delivery.
- Coordinates cover and jacket production with remote Art Departments to maintain stringent high-quality standards.
- Directs manufacturing of books from both overseas and domestic vendors for an assigned set of titles.
- Works with Manager to monitor and maintain desired schedules, cost, and quality. Ability to evaluate and recommend best method for manufacturing, such as domestic v. overseas, or offset v. digital.
- Coordinates all estimating and printing requests as designated by Inventory to ensure schedule fidelity.
- Attends and participates in regular vendor meetings.
- Analyzes production specifications in order to propose cost-saving measures. Communicates alternative specifications to editorial and design departments.
- Maintains communication with freight forwarder while overseas books are in transit.
- Works under minimal supervision, keeping Manager and imprint informed of any service disruption or vendor quality issues. Communicates such issues to the vendor in collaboration with Manager.
- Prepares cost estimates, purchase orders and shipping instructions from HBG’s title management system as required by vendors and Cost Accounting.
- Processes invoices in an accurate and timely manner. Explains cost discrepancies as needed.
- Maintains accurate specification and scheduling information in company databases.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- College degree.
- 3-5 years experience in manufacturing.
- Highly organized, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize.
- Thorough, accurate, and articulate verbal and written communication skills.
- Can collaborate well with a diverse team of internal and external stakeholders.
- Not intimidated by technological advances and new systems. Can utilize technology where appropriate to improve workflow.
- Facility with numbers and basic accounting skills.
- Proficiency in Excel and analyzing and organizing data
- Solid Windows PC and MS Office skills. Mac skills a plus.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Seeks continuous improvement and innovates solutions.
- Maintains grace under pressure in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The salary for this position is $48,000. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.