Senior Production Associate
The Hachette Book Group is seeking a Senior Production Associate to coordinate the production and manufacturing of 4-Color frontlist picture books and 1-Color hardcover and paperback books published by our Little Brown Books for Young Readers imprint. The Senior Production Associate will work closely with the Managing Editorial, Editorial, Art and Design departments as well as outside vendors to produce high quality print and eBooks on aggressive schedules, within budget constraints. Candidates need to be capable of working in a deadline-driven and team-oriented environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively and efficiently coordinates all phases of book production and manufacturing from composition, prepress, printing and binding through final delivery.
- Work closely with all vendors, domestic and overseas, to manage supplier performance and ensure schedule, quality, and budget requirements are met.
- Monitors production schedules through coordination with outside vendors as well as all relevant in-house departments to ensure on-time delivery.
- Traffics and color correct proofs and attend press checks, if necessary.
- Prepare and update budgets and cost estimates both seasonally and on a title-by-title basis.
- Creates ebooks (in varying formats) in-house and through vendors as needed.
- Attends and participates in regular production meetings.
- Analyzes production specifications in order to propose cost-saving measures. Communicates alternative specifications to editorial and design departments.
- Works under minimal supervision, keeping Manager and imprint informed of any service disruption or vendor quality issues. Communicates such issues to the vendor in collaboration with Manager.
- Prepares cost estimates, purchase orders and shipping instructions from HBG’s title management system.
- Maintains accurate specification and scheduling information in company databases.
- Review color proofs for accuracy and color correct as necessary with supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- College degree.
- 3-5 years experience in manufacturing.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize.
- Thorough, accurate, and articulate verbal and written communication skills.
- Can collaborate well with a diverse team of internal and external stakeholders.
- Not intimidated by technological advances and new systems. Can utilize technology where appropriate to improve workflow.
- Intermediate color assessment skills with the ability to provide basic instruction and color correction directives.
- Proficiency in Excel, basic math, calculating, analyzing and organizing data
- Comfortable in both PC and Mac platforms. Adobe Creative Suite skills a plus.
- Experience with Digital Asset Management systems.
- Seeks continuous improvement and innovative solutions.
- Maintains grace under pressure in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.