Junior Designer, Artisan Books
Artisan Books’ design department is growing! Artisan is a small, creative, collaborative team of editors and designers focused on creating gorgeous nonfiction books. We’re looking for a junior designer who can translate complicated ideas into beautiful, functional books. Our books range from cookbooks to lifestyle and how-to books, so we need someone who’s flexible and excited about a creative challenge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with senior designers and editors to create several concepts for a new book’s cover and interior
- Research, hire, and communicate with illustrators and photographers
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and coordinate with freelances and in-house staff
- Resolve the design of a book that’s hit an unexpected snag—and keep it on schedule
- Design mechanicals, make reprint corrections, and prepare titles for production
- Review and correct proofs with assistance of senior staff
- Attend weekly production meeting and art meeting with the publisher
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- BFA preferred
- Approximately one to three years of experience in illustrated book design
- Demonstrated proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Creative Suite
- Previous design experience required, typesetting experience a plus
- Knowledgeable of book traditions and typographic conventions
- Strong time management, follow-up, and follow-through skills
- Strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator is required
- Keen sense of layout, and the proven ability to select and sequence images for publication
- Great attitude/team player
- A portfolio that shows great ideation, design, and type skills
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $50,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.