Editorial Assistant, Little, Brown
PLEASE NOTE-This is an immediate opening. We recommend that May 2020 grads do not apply, unless they can begin working full-time immediately.
The Editorial Assistant is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support to the VP, Editorial Director of Voracious, an imprint at Little, Brown devoted to books driven by appetite and curiosity. Voracious connects readers with what they love most—from politics and cooking to irreverent advice and pop culture. Most of our books are illustrated, and all of them are designed to make readers pick them up and immediately engage with them. Our authors are artists, entrepreneurs, cooks, storytellers, thought leaders, scientists, historians, humorists, and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write catalog, cover, and promotional copy and prepare title fact sheets and other selling materials
- Prepare contract requests and process payments
- Communicate with authors and agents about all aspects of the publishing process, including queries, schedules, payments, etc.
- Traffic editorial projects through Production, Copyediting, Art, Marketing, and other departments, and secure appropriate approvals
- Create and manage art logs related to visual titles
- Enter title data into proprietary database system and track data throughout publishing process
- Read, report on, and draft responses to manuscripts and proposals submitted for publication
- Assist in editing acquired manuscripts and preparing them for transmittal to Production
- Help compile comparative title lists and profit & loss statements for projects being pursued for acquisition
- Coordinate meetings and events
- Perform administrative duties, including: calendar management, photocopying, large-scale mailings, filing, drafting correspondence, taking meeting minutes, redirecting and responding to phone calls, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 1 year of publishing experience preferred (internships okay) or other editorial work experience
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and polished verbal communication skills
- An ability to attend to details and juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Solid computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, and databases
- Passion for popular nonfiction and visual books a must
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus