Cartographer, Avalon Travel
The cartographer provides map production and project/process support for the cartography department. Working closely with the cartography director, map editors, and book editors, the cartographer prepares maps using Adobe Illustrator and various other map specific software and data acquisition sites.
This role will be based in our Berkeley, CA office on a two day a week hybrid schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Stylize geospatial data using a geographic information system plugin (MAPublisher) within Adobe Illustrator to draw, and create, travel specific maps based on series templates.
- Map data acquisition, organization, and management.
- Work closely with project leads to determine best base material and provide input during map/book framing process.
- Work with map editors to review and correct edited maps.
- Export finished maps for book layout and/or other products.
- Work with project leads and director to review manuscript proofs for final book production.
- Maintain the organization of departmental map assets through the inclusion of accurate metadata, cataloging, and archiving of map assets.
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects with different map editors based on a production schedule.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Competency in Adobe Suite applications, specifically Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
- Proficiency MAPublisher and GEOImager, Avenza plugins for Adobe AI & PS
- Proficiency, or familiarity with, Google maps engine and QGIS
- KML/KMZ and shapefile formats
- Strong communication skills with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, please submit both a resume AND a cover letter. Unconventional experience including personal projects/content creation are all very welcome.
Want to read up on us before you apply? Visit our imprint website at moon.com, or find us @moonguides on Instagram. You can learn more about the Hachette Book Group at hachettebookgroup.com.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $47,500 - $50,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.