The Orbit Division is seeking a Designer. The Designer will be responsible for support of the Art Directors and Cover Designers through both mechanical (spine and back cover) design and advertising and marketing design. Although this position is the beginning of the path to cover design over time, this is not a cover design position. The position also includes a number of art department administrative duties, including packaging and archiving files. This position will focus on Orbit (science fiction and fantasy) and Redhook (general commercial fiction).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design mechanicals (back, spine, flaps) for print and digital editions.
- Design advertising and marketing materials for print and web.
- Play a key role in routing mechanicals through Art, Editorial, Managing Editorial, and pre-flighting and packaging files to pass to Production.
- Upload covers to database and servers.
- Deliver and accept art files with Orbit UK and foreign publishers.
- Handle queries and provide materials to other departments, such as Editorial, Marketing, Production, Sales, and Sub-Rights.
- Attend weekly Cover Meetings and Production meetings, taking minutes as necessary.
- Offer support to the Creative Director through clerical and administrative tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design or equivalent practical experience needed.
- 1-2 years’ experience with an in-house art department or standalone design firm.
- A keen interest in book publishing and working in Science Fiction and Fantasy.
- The ideal candidate should be very well-organized, an effective multitasker, attentive to detail, and be comfortable with balancing administrative duties with creative tasks.
- Proficient with the Macintosh operating system—strong knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $48,000-$55,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.