Associate Art Director/Art Director, Grand Central Publishing
The Grand Central Publishing- Art department is seeking to hire an Associate Art Director/Art Director. The Art Director will be responsible for designing jackets and art directing for potentially the Twelve Books, Legacy Lit, and Balance imprints, and will work in a highly creative, friendly and teamwork-oriented art department, interacting heavily with the editorial team, managing editorial, publicity, production and marketing departments to ensure timely workflow, department deadlines and interdepartmental requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Concept, design, and manage multiple projects per season with guidance from the Twelve and Balance Editorial team
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Design and Editorial teams on the development of the book from concept to finish.
- Hire and supervise freelance photographers and illustrators and maintain appropriate records
- Mechanical designing and routing.
- Create materials for weekly editorial meetings, as well as seasonal sales meetings, including Focus meetings and Sales conference
- Keep projects on a timely schedule and keep supervisor in the loop on projects.
- Pre-press work and color corrections for jacket files going to the printer.
- Attending weekly cover meetings, and production meetings.
- Photo / Art research
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 5-7 years minimum experience in designing and art directing
- Must have portfolio link with sample work included with resume.
- Possess a highly creative, conceptual and results-driven work ethic
- Direct report to VP, Creative Director.
- Proficient in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and all Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Creative Cloud).
- Creative excellence in typography.
- Freelancer art direction.
- Photo shoot art direction.
- Expert level retouching and photoshopping
- Knowledge of PDF production workflow systems.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.