Publicity Director, Hachette Books
The Publicity Director will lead publicity efforts on titles across the Hachette Books list, spanning at least 12 front list per year plus lead backlist with major tour/publicity efforts attached. The ideal candidate will have preexisting and long-standing relationships with key national press contacts, booksellers, festival organizers, and significant experiencing publicizing nonfiction books across many categories, including Business, Politics, Pop Culture, Memoir, Sports, Health/Wellness, and more. The Publicity Director will also have several direct reports and will help guide junior staff members on their campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead Publicity efforts on titles across the Hachette Books list.
- Strategically create sales-driving publicity campaigns complete with active pitching, follow-up, tour-scheduling, the creation of press materials, and more.
- Manage a team of publicists on day-to-day workflow.
- Create and orchestrate smart, massive, and effective publicity campaigns for key titles that create awareness on a national level and drive sales.
- Maintain and leverage critical relationships with national media contacts and booksellers.
- Actively participate in the division’s acquisitions process (attend Editorial meetings, proposal meetings with agents and prospective authors, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A minimum of 8+ year’s previous book publicity experience and extensive media contacts.
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented and be able to effectively multi-task.
- Previous staff management experience.
- Strong working knowledge of the relationship between Publicity, Marketing, and Sales.
- Excellent written and oral skills, an ease with public speaking, and dynamic presentation skills
- Self-starter mentality, with the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with a keen attention to detail.