Summer 2023 Cartography Intern, Avalon Travel
Hachette Book Group’s summer internship program offers individuals an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. To learn more about the company, visit our career site: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/about/careers/
Program dates: June 5th – August 11th (10 weeks)
Location: ON-SITE: This position will be based in our Berkeley office on a two-day per week hybrid schedule. Company laptop will be provided for the duration of the program.
Weekly schedule: 28 hours per week, Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Pay rate: $16.99/hour
Avalon Travel Cartography Department seeks an intern who would like to learn more about maps and the process of making maps in the book publishing industry. We publish Rick Steves and Moon Travel Guides, two of the top brands in travel guides. We welcome applicants with backgrounds in Geography, Cartographic Principles, Spatial Orientation, GIS, Graphic Design, with interest in information aesthetics or related fields who have an earnest interest in book publishing!
Avalon is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of travelers and readers. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, disabled individuals, and/or people with backgrounds historically excluded from the publishing industry are encouraged to apply.
Who you are:
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite applications, specifically Adobe Illustrator
- Knowledge of MAPublisher would be ideal
- Able to work collaboratively with a team and contribute insights
- Can perform Excel spreadsheet operations
- Use, or familiar with, Google maps engine
- KML/KMZ or Shapefile formats
- Willingness to ask questions and have good follow-up on tasks
You will learn how to:
- Review and edit existing maps using author guided materials
- PDF or Excel spreadsheet driven
- Export map files for layout book process
- Review and edit maps during proofing of book compilation
- Create new maps using Adobe Illustrator and MAPublisher plug-in
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.