Director, IT Infrastructure
Director, IT Infrastructure
Hachette Book Group, a leading US trade publisher, is looking for a Director, IT Infrastructure to lead its IT Infrastructure Team. The IT Infrastructure Team consists of talented Infrastructure and Server Operations Engineers who oversee the IT environment that runs business critical applications deployed within HBG datacenters, in the public cloud, as well as integrated with managed services provided by other partners. The IT Infrastructure Team oversees the servers, networks, virtualization, storage, as well as release and change management within the organization. In addition to our two datacenters, the director will also be responsible for maintaining infrastructure at HBG’s 8 office sites across US and Canada. This position is based in Boston, MA.
Reporting to the Vice President, IT Engineering & Operations, the Director will be a visible leader both within the IT organization and in the business. This is an exciting opportunity to play a lead role in implementing and maturing a hybrid environment in the publishing industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide management and technical leadership to the IT Infrastructure team.
- Establish and maintain standards and best practices for a hybrid infrastructure environment.
- Plan, execute, and deliver multiple simultaneous projects across various domains within Infrastructure.
- Manage a stream of incoming ServiceNow incidents and ensure workload distribution, execution, and successful delivery of fixes to address the incidents within SLAs.
- Plan, execute, and participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Translate business needs into actionable plans and align team and execution to meet the needs.
- Architect and build highly available, redundant systems and drive capacity planning, disaster recovery planning, and , planning and design as well as capacity planning.
- Ensure documented uptime is met for our business critical enterprise applications and business critical operations through appropriate levels of provisioning, monitoring, alerting, and remediation.
- Own and enforce the release and change management processes across all efforts from the team.
- Partner and collaborate with other IT organizations and with the business to ensure efficient end-to-end execution of projects/tasks.
- At least at a monthly cadence share project status and operational metrics with highlights/lowlights in a presentation to IT senior management.
- Build and maintain clear, detailed and complete documentation related to Infrastructure.
- Extensive and demonstrated project-focused and operational experience with leading Infrastructure teams and owning high-availability, fault tolerant, consumer-facing, B2B, and SaaS environments.
- High proficiency with the Linux CLI and superior scripting skills (with languages such as Bash and Python)
- Knowledge of and experience working with IaaS and PaaS across one or more commercial clouds – preferably Azure. Experience supporting hybrid applications across on-premise, cloud, and managed service setups.
- Strong knowledge of virtualization and storage technologies, preferably VMWare and NetApp.
- Knowledge with modern DevOps tools, such as, SaltStack, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Graphite, Nagios/Check_MK/OMD.
- Knowledgeable with web and application servers such as Apache Web Server, WebSphere, Tomcat, and JBoss.
- Basic experience managing Windows Server Infrastructure, including Active Directory.
- Deep understanding of LAN/WAN networking fundamentals, preferably with experience managing firewalls, load balancers, routers, switches, ideally with Cisco technologies and protocols such as OSPF and BGP.
- Experience representing team effort and communicating with management and business users who are not intimately aware of infrastructure and related technologies/jargon.
- Experience managing vendors, negotiating deals and tracking against budgets.
- Experience working with offshore and remote teams. Building a collaborative, one-team environment within the infrastructure team and with the broader IT organization.