Junior Designer, Grand Central Publishing
The Grand Central Publishing- Art department is seeking to hire a Junior Designer. Applicant must be mature, highly organized, efficient, creative, conscientious, and possess the ability to multi-task. The Junior Designer will work in a highly creative, friendly and teamwork-oriented art department and will interact heavily with art directors, designers, editors, managing editorial, publicity, production and marketing departments to ensure timely workflow, department deadlines and interdepartmental requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and format cover design (flaps/back ads and creating digital formats for eBooks) for both hardcover and paperback titles for the GCP Adult Trade list.
- Coordinate Copy submission with Managing Editorial department.
- Design and route Mechanicals.
- Preform Pre-press work and color corrections for jacket files going to the printer.
- Attending weekly production meetings.
- Conduct Photo / Art research.
- Complete Cover design assignments as assigned, pending completion of other job requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor Degree preferred,, preferably in design.
- Must have portfolio link with sample work included with resume.
- 1-2 years of experience in publishing art department-internships ok.
- Mac platform skills with mastery of current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign).
- Working knowledge of AfterEffects, Animation and other Microsoft operating systems a plus, but not necessary.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.