The Contracts Associate will be responsible for drafting and negotiating author agreements (and associated documents) for the Workman imprints of Hachette Book Group. The selected individual will also draft and negotiate subsidiary rights agreements, advise editorial staff on acquisitions and deal terms, and review and approve deal memos for acquisitions. The selected individual will report into and work closely with the Contracts Director for this publishing area but will be expected to exercise a confident level of autonomy in terms of drafting, negotiating and participation in decision-making regarding processes and boilerplate terms. The selected individual will work alongside and receive admin support from a departmental assistant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Drafting and negotiating author agreements and amendments for the Workman Publishing Group
- Reviewing, advising on, and approving deal memos/offer terms
- Draft and negotiate subsidiary rights agreements
- Processing reversion requests, cancelations, and other contract related documents
- Assigning, reviewing, and checking the work of a departmental assistant
- Fielding queries from editors, agents, and colleagues
- Participating in presentations/training sessions for editorial and other publishing groups around contractual terms
- Other duties as may reasonably be assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- At least 2 years of drafting experience and high level of knowledge of standard publishing contract terms
- Experience negotiating with agents
- Expertise in word, power point, excel and other standard computer programs (experience with a title management system is a plus)
- Self-starter with excellent time-management skills
- Good communicator and team player
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $50,000 - $55,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.