Research Manager, Hachette Innovation Program
The Hachette Innovation Program (HIP) seeks a Research Manager to explore and manage new initiatives. HIP works to accelerate Hachette Livre’s digital transformation through the dissemination of a culture of innovation within the international teams of Hachette UK, Hachette Book Group in the US, Hachette España and Hachette Livre in France. The three main activities of HIP are a strategic watch, demo sessions with promising partners, and running proof of concept pilots.
The position would ideally be based in the Bay Area and the candidate would work remotely from a home office.
- Follow tech news (general and publishing industry-specific) and conduct a weekly press review with an international scope
- Research and report on big announcements from large media players that might have an effect on our business
- Participate in tech fairs, conferences, round-tables and write and circulate minutes and summaries
- Produce reports on tech ecosystems, trends, new technologies, usage evolutions, innovation strategies, in collaboration with Strategy Project Manager
- Summarize and update existing reports and studies
- Conduct Ad hoc research about innovative solutions and new technologies or partners to address top-management / publishers’ needs
- Create presentations for senior management and/or publishers, as well as external stakeholders, including shareholders, startups, and professional associations
- Engage in sourcing to identify promising solutions and potential partners based on publishers’ needs
- Maintain company profiles in collaboration with Strategy Project Manager and M&A team
- Conduct Analysis (technical + business) of start-up solutions / benchmark
- Coordinate with local Innovation Project Managers with Hachette Livre businesses to organize demo sessions
- Create and manage a HIP Book Club, selecting titles and leading discussions on internal platforms
- Participate in weekly calls with the rest of the HIP team, meetings with publishers to understand their needs, and coordinate meetings with start-ups.
- Relevant education and/or job experience in strategy, innovation, and product development
- English + French (oral + spoken) required, Spanish a plus
- Ability to work remotely from the Bay Area, with the ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Knowledge of tech ecosystems a plus
- Strong writing and communications skills; ability to present and condense complicated data briefly and succinctly
- Ability to evaluate and compare technical solutions for publishers
- Ability to make short-video, podcasts, etc. using simple phone-based apps
- Discretion / confidentiality required. Must be willing to sign NDAs.