Designer / Senior Designer, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking a talented Designer or Senior Designer who will be responsible for the design of a dynamic list of graphic novels, in-house IP, branded content. This includes a wide variety of categories such as picture book, novelty, middle grade, young adult, graphic novel, fiction, and non-fiction. Working alongside the Art Director, this person will be responsible for seeing each project through the design process, including conception, layout, art direction, approvals, and preparing files for production in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Art Director and Editorial in the design of covers and interiors, as well as select novelty components (stickers, posters, perf cards, box sets) from conception through the approval process, and preparing files for print production.
- Work closely with editors, illustrators, photographers, freelancers, and licensors in the creation of cover and interior artwork while maintaining schedule and budget.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of the book, and can translate into multiple formats.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
- Manage schedules and approvals of assigned projects to make sure key marketing, sales, and production dates and needs are met.
- Work closely with the Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket, sales, and marketing meetings.
- Ensure all covers and related sales assets are uploaded into proprietary database (The Vault) and archive documents appropriately.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Art Director or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in book publishing or related industry — experience in children’s books preferred.
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (Picture Books, Graphic Novels, Young Adult, Middle Grade, Chapter Books, 8x8’s, Junior Novels, Interactive Novelty Books, Sticker Books)
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; working knowledge of PDF workflow a plus.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Ability to stay current on top of new print and digital design trends
- Solid print production experience required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A familiarity and enthusiasm for pop culture, film, television, and licensed toy brands
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $55,000-$70,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.