Hachette Book Group is seeking a Senior Counsel to handle a range of commercial transactions, intellectual property/First Amendment issues, pre-litigation and litigation, and other general corporate matters. This attorney will be joining a legal team based in New York which supports multiple offices and all aspects of the company’s business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Counsel publishing units on copyright, trademark, libel, privacy and other pre-publication matters.
• Draft and negotiate range of commercial agreements, including content distribution agreements across all media and devices, software/IT agreements, advertising and marketing agreements, and other day-to-day operational contracts.
• Manage pre-litigation disputes (sending cease and desist notices, responding to claim letters), and manage outside counsel on litigation matters.
• Experience handling compliance, privacy, marketing and/or M&A matters is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to the New York Bar.
• At least 6+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably a combination of in-house experience and foundational training at a law firm.
• Able to work independently.
• Knowledge of publishing/media law and related trends.
• The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively with clients at all levels of the organization, be solution oriented, enjoy a fast-paced work environment, prioritize and multi-task.
About Hachette Book Group: Hachette Book Group is a leading trade publisher based in New York and a division of Hachette Livre, the third largest trade and educational publisher in the world.