Head of Assembly Operations
Do you want to be the Head of Assembly Operations at Autocar?
What will you do? We are looking for a proven Lean practitioner, results-focused, seasoned, with functional operational capabilities, strategic, and process-minded people leader and manager who delivers results with experience in execution and scaling an organization. You will lead mid-level line management team, and develop a lean and results oriented culture among a group of diverse individuals. The Head of Assembly Operations must be a leader and Manager who is able to help others at Autocar deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. The Head of Assembly Operations is a hands on executive that oversees all day to day operations of the company, while driving continuous improvement and developing a Lean culture. The Head of Assembly Operations will help execute the strategy that underpins the President and Chairman’s vision, and take the lead in implementing it.
- Direct manufacturing, quality, internal logistics and overall facilities at Birmingham location
- Hands on support to ensure daily, weekly and monthly results are achieved.
- Execute on lean production system and continually implement and improve operational processes
- Drive key change and transformation initiatives
- Bring business model innovation enhancements to shape the future of the operations team
- Manage, train, recruit and develop the people needed for on-time, quality delivery
- Manage operating processes within the value chain (including alignment of support functions); namely processes to confirm right part is on the truck and properly removed from inventory.
- Direct Assembly operations to deliver products on time at targeted cost
- Budget planning and allocation
- Maintain transparent cost monitoring and reporting through visual management
- Deliver appropriate performance targets, monitoring of progress and OKR reporting to leadership
- Maintain and monitor staffing and training to meet financial, quality and customer expectations
- Manage operational risk (including risk and quality controls)
- Implement and execute Lean principles throughout the organization
- Continuously improve first time Quality throughout the organization
- Continue and deliver on our Shingo path
- Optimization across silos (i.e., value chain optimization)
- Align resources and find synergies within operations
- Increase Operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Leverage innovation and technological improvement
Implement Strategy into Operations
- Set up appropriate organizational structures
- Derive goals for business units from the vision and strategy
- Implement operating systems, establishing and implementing operating policies, directives, procedures and KPIs to support corporate strategy
- Assist support functions (HR, IT, etc.) in setting up procedures that link to corporate strategy
- Translate strategic C-suite goals into a tangible working reality for employees
Manage Strategic Assets
- Create pipeline of suitable lean minded talent: influencing attraction and retention
- Implement appropriate models for rewards and recognition of staff implementing coaching and corrective practices as needed
- Support brand management and creation of reputation by delivering products and services of highest quality
- Continuously enforce the value system of the company (e.g., leading by motivation and engagement, “walk the talk“)
Drive Key Change and Transformation Initiatives
- Build commitment among stakeholders by using “their language” and inspiring them
- Set up clear objectives and key measures of change in the context of various cultural and corporate specifications
- Manage skills and transformational activity alignment (e.g., matching of talent to change initiatives)
- Design and implement the right behaviors according to the key area of change
- Entrepreneurial and flexible approach towards challenges
- Ensure usage of enabling technologies and workflows
- Ability to step into the “shop-floor”, solve problems and actively work with the operations team
- In depth practice of management and leadership skills to drive operational results
- “Walk the talk” lean practitioner that has experience transforming operations into lean high quality operations.
- Knowledge of budgeting, costing and accounting principles relevant to the industry and market in which the organization operates
- Knowledge of lean continuous improvement measures and processes and benchmarking tools to measure against peers
- Knowledge of (technological and IT) trends and best practices in the sector
- Situational leadership skills with regards to different target groups
- Cultural expertise
- Practical understanding of people management implications during change and transformation projects
- At least 5 years’ experience as Head of Assembly Operations in a Lean manufacturing environment
- Demonstrable competency in transforming organizations to lean principles, and management of large diverse staff and strategic planning
- Proven track record of executing organization Change Plans and delivery of results
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Outstanding organizational management and leadership abilities to deliver results
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Comfortable with constant change
- Strategic mindset and planning capabilities
- Very strong lean management skills
Who are we? Autocar is the only American truck manufacturer focused on trucks for severe-duty vocational applications. But above all, Autocar is focused on our customers: Our truck helps our customers to be more successful and to achieve their challenging objectives.
Autocar’s hundreds of customers include every national waste-hauling fleet, major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, and Charlotte, and many of the largest retailers and freight handlers in North America.
As the industry's technology and innovation leader, Autocar has forged strong partnerships with the leading suppliers in the business, including, Allison, Cummins, ArvinMeritor, Hendrickson among others, and has delivered more natural gas vehicles than all of our competitors combined.
Autocar is the oldest motor vehicle manufacturer in the United States and built America's first truck, in 1899. A proudly American-owned company, Autocar is headquartered in Hagerstown, Indiana and is affiliated with GVW Group, based in Highland Park, Illinois.
What does it take to be a part of our team?
- CHARACTER: We look for people with integrity, honesty, loyalty, humility, and who do not engage in internal politics.
- PROACTIVE: You are a doer, self-made and have led big changes.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: You are a “finisher”, get things done, and like to win.
- ENTERPRISING: You think outside the box, can work in agile, unstructured environments and don’t reinvent the wheel.
- GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE: You have a global view resulting from work with sophisticated international companies.
- SENSE OF URGENCY: You act with the realization that efficiency is vital to success.
- HIGHLY COLLABORATIVE: Collaboration is the fuel of our business, whether it is between employees, partners or customers. You are a driving force for continued efficiency among everyday tasks and a necessity for improving the outcomes of business activities.
What do we offer in benefits? We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume