Job Title: Engineering Technician - Prototype
Reports To: Prototype Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Group Leader Prototype and Testing
Prepared Date: 09/21
Approved By: Human Resource Manager
Approved Date: 09/21
This position is responsible for the manufacture and assembly of prototype trucks, systems, and components.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assemble prototype, engineering, validation and special build vehicles. Install and validate parts & components on engineering and method build vehicles.
- Provide feedback to design engineers related to Bill Of Material, installation, validation, accessibility and maintainability issues.
- Work with design engineers to create prototype parts that are representative of design ideas/concepts when prints are not available.
- Manufacture prototype parts and special tools.
- Assists with fabrication, assembly, modification and debugging of test systems.
- Building of simple test fixtures and tools.
- Support in-house or field testing.
- Perform simple electrical assembly (i.e. wiring, connectors, circuit boards)
- Support Autocar production initiatives by supporting part manufacturing/modification needs and implementation of new designs to production line
- Rework of production components to support short lead-time of special options.
- Maintains a safe working environment through good housekeeping practices and adherence to safe work practices
- Periodic travel may be required to address issues at customer’s locations or support test and evaluation activities.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
One to two years related experience and/or training.
Heavy truck vehicle product knowledge required.
Fabrication knowledge will be desirable.
Truck manufacturing build/process experience will be desirable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret blueprints and schematics required.
Ability to interpret dimensions on a print and make modifications as necessary. Basic shop math skills are required. Ability to make concept prints for parts during prototyping phase.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
A working knowledge of the following will be an advantage for the candidate:
- MS Office
- UG NX
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume