Vice President of Supply Chain and Materials Management
Vice President OF SUPPLY CHAIN AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you do 2 or 3 jobs instead of only one? Are you fine with always speaking your mind? Can you lead, execute, and stay focused despite many distractions, and do the work yourself if needed?
At Autocar, we fight for the customer’s needs. We are disrupting the industry by putting the customers’ needs first. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom-made, specifically for that customer—no “one size fits all” here. Because we engineer tools differently, we deliver trucks faster than the competition, and they WORK. The truck has more uptime, is more comfortable for the driver, and is safer—40% fewer crashes with injury than the industry average.* For the life of the truck, we have around-the-clock support.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the customer. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
What will you do? We are looking for a Vice President of Supply Chain and Materials Management who is a Lean guru, solves problems to root cause simply and leverages technology to simplify further. You will direct the activities of Logistics, Production Planning and Inventory Control functions to ensure the following: proper inventory levels are maintained to achieve a high level of internal and external customer service (minimal back-orders and materials shortages), regulatory and compliance, efficient production planning and schedules and minimize excess inventory. The ideal candidate will have deep planning experience, especially in terms of supply chain flow, a clear process mindset, and relevant warehouse management experience.
- Develop, implement, and manage the global supply planning and scheduling process (e.g. Sales and Operations Planning for heavy duty trucks (i.e., “Make to Order”).
- Develop, implement, and manage internal manufacturing scheduling processes. Work with manufacturing leadership to ensure internal manufacturing production scheduling process is robust, efficient, and cost effective.
- Manage transportation, inbound logistics, receiving, VMI, warehouse management, and material delivery to point of use.
- Implement inventory management policies for all required materials to support internal and external manufacturing and establish inventory plans to meet response times for customers.
- Direct Materials Management staff and set the functional strategy for the department. Coordinates Materials Management department activities with key cross-functional business partners to increase the effectiveness of Materials Management initiatives.
- Manage key projects with significant business outcomes including complex supply chain, inventory management, process development and system development
- Lead cross functional planning teams to respond to unplanned events. Develop supply options, facilitate decision making, and communicate updated manufacturing and supply plans to all impacted stakeholders
- Partner with IT to develop and implement a supply chain IT systems and tools strategy. These are the tools needed to do supply chain planning, execution, and analysis.
- Uses ERP system data to accurately and strategically plan, prepare, analyze and control production schedules and materials requirements to ensure orderly flow and delivery of approved materials to meet production requirements. Own and manage supply chain master data.
- Implement strategic plans and design and utilize tools to develop metrics to monitor key performance indicators.
- LEAN practitioner, process-oriented, data-driven mindset for decision making.
- Ability to lead and motivate others by articulating and implementing aLEAN vision for manufacturing. Ability to build, develop and retain a high-performing team through assessment, recruiting, coaching and developing others.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and achieve results in a fast-paced, evolving environment.
- Demonstrated ability being proactive not reactive.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, operations, supply chain, or applicable discipline, MBA strongly preferred
- 15+ years of progressive supply chain management experience including 7+ years of managing others
- Breadth of supply chain management experience, including supply planning and procurement
- Black Belt preferred
- Experience working with Contract Manufacturing/External Supply Management
- Deep experience with “Make to Order” supply chains (e.g. vehicle manufacturing)
- Experience starting up a new external supply chain organization, tools, and processes
- Strong background working with ERP/MRP/Supply Chain systems and tools
- Excellent supply chain analysis skills (e.g. modelling, “What If” analysis)
- Demonstrated ability to work in various cultural environments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter with ability to prioritize with strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate at all levels and translate technical language for clarity.
Who are we? Autocar is the only American truck manufacturer focused on trucks for severe-duty vocational applications. But above all, Autocar is focused on our customers: Our trucks help our customers to be more successful and to achieve their challenging objectives.
Autocar’s hundreds of customers include every national waste-hauling fleet, major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, and Charlotte, and many of the largest retailers and freight handlers in North America.
As the industry's technology and innovation leader, Autocar has forged strong partnerships with the leading suppliers in the business, including, Allison, Cummins, ArvinMeritor, Hendrickson among others, and has delivered more natural gas vehicles than all of our competitors combined.
Autocar is the oldest motor vehicle manufacturer in the United States and built America's first truck, in 1899. A proudly American-owned company, Autocar is headquartered in Hagerstown, Indiana and is affiliated with GVW Group, based in Highland Park, Illinois.
Where will you work? The Vice President of Supply Chain and Materials Management will be based in Birmingham, AL, with frequent travel to other GVW Group companies.
What do we offer in benefits? We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume