Group Leader (Manager) of Productivity Engineering
Job Title: Group Leader (Manager) of Productivity Engineering
Department: Phoenix Group
Reports To: VP Engineering
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: Bill Dolesh
Prepared Date: 8/04
Overseeing the development and implementation of manufacturing layouts and manufacturing processes to deliver vehicles meeting operational objectives and quality metrics. Facilitate transition of new products into the production environment. Lead continuous improvement activities, including but not limited to; implementing lean manufacturing practices, 5S and visual management, throughput improvements, quality improvements, safety and ergonomics, tooling and equipment development for the efficient assembly of severe duty class 8 trucks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
The Group Leader (Manager) of Productivity Engineering is responsible for driving innovation, scalability, and efficiency into the manufacturing operations. Supporting new product launches.
- Lead a cohesive working team environment with all departments at Autocar.
- Day-to-Day production and quality line support. Review with area supervisor’s resource needs and assembly processes. Action changes and update process instructions
- Train supervisors/operators on new process and production launches
- Manage and assign change management tsks within the team
- Coach and mentor the Day -to-Day activities of the PE team
- Conduct Kaizen events and continuous improvements actions for the PE team and operations
- Representation on plant safety team
- Participate in design reviews and provide direction/guidance for design for manufacturing
- Review new orders and estimate time and resource needs to meet customer build requirements
- Coordinate with offsite contract engineers to release process models and assembly instructions.
- Facilities and tooling development and inspections.
- Work with in-house and contracted manufacturers to develop tooling to support new product launches.
- Work with sub-contractors to ensure current tooling is certified for intended use
- Project management and tracking of business metrics
- Other duties assigned as needed to support production
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to readily adjust to changing priorities, is innovative, self-driven and has a hands-on approach to problem solving while working well within a team.
- 2 years’ experience supervising or managing a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Mentoring/Coaching members of the PE team
- Day-to-Day assignment of tasks in change management for the team
- Development and tracking operational team budget
- Performance reviews and actions associated to management of the team
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in-group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET), Industrial Engineering Technology (IET) or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in manufacturing environment, preferably assembly in the automotive or heavy truck industry
- Understanding of time study/line balancing
- Project Management experience and product launch planning
- Formal training in Six Sigma, 5S or Lean Manufacturing
- Strong work ethic, great attitude, and willingness to learn
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Production-oriented and hands-on
- Effective communicator across all levels of the organization
- MS Office proficiency
- Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks Composer, and NX Unigraphics a plus
- Experience with Labworks programming a plus
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
Reasoning Ability -
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
A thorough working knowledge of:
- CAD based engineering design system
- MS Office
- Mentor Graphics, VESYS, Pro/ diagram, or similar harness creation software
- Team Center PDM system
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume