Director of Engineering
Do you want to be the director of acx engineering at Autocar?
Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you do 2 or 3 jobs instead of only one? Are you fine with always speaking your mind? Can you lead, execute, and stay focused despite many distractions, and do the work yourself if needed?
At Autocar, we fight for the driver’s needs. We are disrupting the industry by putting the driver’s needs first. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom-made, specifically for that customer—no mass production here. Because we engineer trucks differently, we deliver trucks faster than the competition, and they WORK. The truck has more uptime, is more comfortable for the driver, and is safer—40% fewer crashes with injury than the industry average.* For the life of the truck, we have around the clock support.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the end user. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
What will you do? Reporting to the Vice President of ACX Engineering, the Director of ACX Engineering will develop and manage the direction and daily activities of the Company's Engineering team with the focus on people, organization and process. The position will also oversee process improvements to the product development process, lead the development of reporting managers and oversee the development of the others in the department.
In this role, it is critical to interact with all levels of company management; including operations, purchasing, quality control, sales, marketing and finance. The ability to work closely with key supplier and key customer is essential.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and mentor the Engineering Organization which includes providing technical leadership and direction to engineers and program teams.
- Train Engineering team to improve the fulfillment of their current role and prepare them for future roles in the company. Training and mentoring these engineers in the use of our full scope of analysis tools.
- Analyze and resolve problems and provides technical assistance as is necessary.
- Work extensively with colleagues to produce results within a fast-paced and high pressure atmosphere.
- Work with project team to develop robust product concepts, design for manufacturability and optimal component cost, maintain or exceed quality expectations, deliver on project timelines and provide superior customer communication and a high degree of sense of urgency in all aspects of the role.
What does it take to successfully undertake this role?
- A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in engineering is required.
- A Master’s degree in Engineering management is preferred and will be beneficial in securing this role.
- The successful candidate will have at least ten years of experience with a minimum of five years proven track record of leading and mentoring a team.
- Must possess strong analytical and technical skills to understand business practices.
Where will you work? The Director of Engineering will be based out of our plant in Birmingham, Alabama.
What do we offer in benefits? We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision, 401K plan, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume