VP, Sales Strategy, Advertising
Our advertising business is grounded on the belief that a new type of ad exchange is needed, one that uses AI to understand the full content of any digital screen. Leading brands in the United States, Europe and Asia Pacific trust us to deliver contextually relevant ads in and around brand-safe content where user attention is focused.
GumGum’s growth team is obsessed with helping our clients win. As part of this team of marketers, sellers and media planners, the VP of Sales Strategy will bring a proactive planning and strategic approach to setting up our U.S. and Canadian clients for success. The ideal candidate has a media buying agency background, senior management experience and is comfortable with advertising technologies. S/he has proven expertise in leveraging the latest tools and techniques to help CPG, Auto, Retail or Media clients navigate a complex ad landscape. The candidate will oversee a team of 15 media wizards and will be responsible for continuing to develop a first-class pre-sales team. S/he will be based in the Santa Monica or New York offices. Occasional travel nationally will be necessary. This position reports to the Chief Growth Officer.
- Keep up-to-date on key industry trends and occasionally speak at industry events (e.g. Digiday)
- Lead collaboration with content development team on thought leadership programs by providing strategic insights on overall sales program
- Help refine the GumGum value proposition/unique selling points to our clients and partners
- Create industry memos on relevant themes (e.g. CCPA) for our pre-sales and sales teams
- Oversee internal sales hub "Gumstore" functionality and collateral development such as presentations, online experiences, one-sheets and more
- Lead branded case study process and production and other third-party validation documents (Forrester TEI)
- Liaise with the product team for consumer research (e.g. GumGum ad perceptions) and new product introductions
- Work with our client success team to enhance sales and marketing touch-points
- Partner with RVPs to craft sales engagement and re-engagement in order to expand our footprint within top 50 U.S. accounts
- Attend industry conferences and committees (IAB, ANA, 4As, etc.)
- Own client primary and secondary market research, including competitive intelligence
- Work to create strategic partnership programs with key agencies in an effort to increase deal sizes and generate revenue
- Streamline reporting and success measurement programs across all “pre-sales” teams
- Lead collaboration with Product team to create educational collateral and training materials for the entire Growth team
- Articulate vision and values for the pre-sales team
- Ensure that our strategic marketers and planners are comfortable with the latest industry trends (e.g. programmatic)
- Develop formal industry and functional training programs
- Assess current team incentives and make sure that they are effective and competitive
- Create career path, manage two to three team leads and lead sales strategy calls with the entire team
- Represent sales strategy team during internal calls, summits and more
- Work closely with RVPs of sales, ad operations and products team
- Provide ongoing, regular formal and informal feedback
- Communicate with team members regularly, as a team and one-on-one
PROPOSAL MANAGEMENT (Direct & Programmatic)
- Oversee our RFP/proposal team (10 individuals or so)
- Work with leads to refine our process for responding to RFPs (high volume)
- Ensure that we can meet high quality standards and that proposals are timely
- Develop strategies to respond to strategic accounts versus standard accounts
- Partner with creative team to create templates and custom proposals
- Oversee research and insights tools to ensure that proposals are data-led
- Own success metrics such as proposal quality and close rates
- 7 to 10+ years senior management experience preferably at a holding media agency or adtech provider
- Robust expertise in working with brands directly
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Able to manage a small budget
- Experience managing teams
- Comfortable and confident in a fast-paced, agile, ever-changing work environment
- Experience mentoring/guiding team members
- Strong stage presence
- Experienced, confident and clear in public speaking engagements
- Possess, and continue to develop, a strong network across the ad tech industry
- Ability to travel globally as needed (appx 20 - 40% )
- Bachelor's degree
- Programmatic advertising
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare and dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Commuter perks
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
Career & Personal Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health/person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and o-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Careers at GumGum
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
Innovators in Esports Content
Sponsorship Targeting with Visual Intelligence
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)
GumGum - LinkedIn
GumGum is committed to providing equal opportunities. GumGum prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws (“Protected Characteristics”). It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.