VP/SVP - Head of Technology (GumGum Sports)
Sports teams sell hundreds of millions of dollars each in sponsorships every year, with brands investing upwards of tens of millions or more across the globe. In a world that is now driven by analytics, there is more scrutiny than ever in where every dollar is spent and what a return on investment looks like.
GumGum Sports is an AI-Powered Sponsorship Measurement Platform that analyzes the earned media value that brands generate from their sponsorships across broadcast TV, social media and streaming platforms. Leveraging computer vision technology, we provide the most comprehensive, automated, and accurate measurement software to value sponsorships. Sports teams can provide a 360º view of how their sponsors get value across every digital medium, and sponsors can measure who drives their highest return on investment.
Reporting to the General Manager of Sports, the VP/SVP - Head of Technology will be responsible for leading the engineering and technology division for GumGum Sports. This role brings company-wide architecture, platform, data design and engineering practices under one leader. The Head of Technology is responsible for the common foundational technology strategy for the company. Key goals of the role include expanding globally and ensuring availability in all regions, improving software delivery efficiency, product resiliency and optimizing compute and network costs as well as growing and managing a global engineering team.
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the GumGum Sports technology roadmap
- Define, evolve and implement GumGum Sports Architectural Principles
- Work cross-functionally with teams inside GumGum Sports and influence decision making within senior-level audiences
- Research global technology trends and their applicability to GumGum Sports’ capabilities
- Evangelize, define and implement self-service software to drive efficient software development practices
- Maintain strong relationships with key customers, partners, and vendors
- Promote a positive work environment; select and train new team members; continuously provide feedback, mentoring, and coaching to existing team members
- Partner closely with business leaders across functions to identify and prioritize the company’s goals
- Lead leaders globally; mentoring and fostering a high performing collaborative team
- Extensive experience in architecting distributed systems and developing enterprise level technology roadmaps
- Experience in running a 24x7 high-availability operation with proven success building out processes at Internet-scale
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- High-growth technology company experience
- Thinks critically and objectively; has excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance - be an owner
- Passion for technology and communications, well-versed on the latest trends
- Travel required as needed
- Desire to implement machine learning capabilities at scale
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare and dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Commuter perks
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
Career & Personal Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health/person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
WE INVITE YOU TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GUMGUM!
We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external).
We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and o-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Careers at GumGum
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
Innovators in Esports Content
Sponsorship Targeting with Visual Intelligence
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)
GumGum - LinkedIn
GumGum is committed to providing equal opportunities. GumGum prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws (“Protected Characteristics”). It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.