Head of Operations
We are seeking a Head of Operations to be based in our Tokyo, Japan office who will be a key strategic partner to the Operations and Sales teams, achieving growth and success by maintaining a high level of delivery and strategic customer success.
In this role, you will be collaborating closely with experts and leaders at GumGum US headquarters and international offices, and owning the management and evolution of our entire advertising operations (including direct and programmatic). As Head of Operations, you will oversee the Japan Ops function and manage a team of 5 specialists in project management, digital advertising operations and creative design. You will have a strong ad tech background, be a strategic thinker and will be comfortable working across a variety of platforms and systems, focusing on a solutions-oriented and problem-solving approach.
- Product Management - Manage the implementation of GumGum’s advertising products and technologies, supporting direct and programmatic sold campaigns; Work with Managing Director and Head of Sales, to create locally relevant operations strategy - including execution and adoption of new products and services
- Cross functional collaboration - Work with experts and leaders at GumGum US headquarters and international offices (Account Management, Ad Operations, Creative Design) and incorporate best practices; Keep appropriate parties updated on status, issues, etc; by Reaching out to peers at HQ and other international offices to share and resolve operational issues, capture latest updates and developments from HQ and implement in a way that works best in Japan
- Customer Focus - Understand our customer needs and maximize our operational excellence and customer services; Aim to serve and delight our customers through successful delivery
- Industry Knowledge - Knowledgeable of ad industry trends to capitalize on revenue and growth opportunities
- Leadership - Attract, retain, develop and motivate the team; Exhibits exceptional leadership skills to nurture talent and provide development guidance and career planning for each individual team member
- Process Owning - Push for consistent process improvement and set relevant policies for the team; Understand commonalities and differences between markets and keep an adequate balance of efficiency and localization
- 6-8 years experience in an advertising project management or operations role in digital media
- 2+ years of experience managing a team; ability to engage and inspire team to greater performance targets
- Deep knowledge of digital advertising business and ad serving
- Understanding of both customer service and efficient operations
- Excellent communication and management skills and ability to multitask
- Enthusiastic, professional demeanor and experience working in a client-oriented setting (internal or external)
- Ability to collaborate across all functions of the company
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple competing tasks and demands
- Proficiency in office software and business tools (Salesforce, JIRA, Slack, etc.)
- Native level Japanese and business level English
- BA/BS degree
- Strong knowledge and experience in programmatic advertising
- Familiarity with project management software and tools
*Please note that we are not currently accepting candidates from recruiting agencies or 3rd parties.*
Benefits & Perks
- Stock incentive program
- Health insurance support
- Separated paid leave and sick leave
- WeWork membership
- Fitness reimbursement
- High growth startup environment and culture
- Continuous learning and professional development
- Company-wide Hackathons
- Free snacks and beverages
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
WE INVITE YOU TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GUMGUM!
We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external).
We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and o-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Careers at GumGum
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
Innovators in Esports Content
Sponsorship Targeting with Visual Intelligence
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)
GumGum - LinkedIn
GumGum is committed to providing equal opportunities. GumGum prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws (“Protected Characteristics”). It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.