Senior Java Performance Engineer
GumGum is looking for a Senior Java Performance Engineer to join the Ad Server team. As a Senior Java Performance Engineer on the Ad Server team, you will play a vital role in scaling our complex production environment. Our production servers handle 20m million request a minute and generate 50T of new data per day. This position will work directly with distributed computing in a highly scalable, cloud-based environment using various technologies technologies such as Java, Spring, Kafka, Dynamodb, Cassandra, Redis, Druid etc.
- Design and code highly scalable, highly available and reliable web services and infrastructure
- Perform root cause analysis of production issues; make and implement recommendations
- Proactively looking for processing bottlenecks and scaling inefficiencies
- Define new and improve upon existing operational KPIs
- Write documentation, troubleshooting guides, etc
- Evangelize best practices across engineering teams
- Review code changes from others, make suggestions to improve performance
- Participate on rotational on-call
- 5-7 years of development experience
- Expert Java engineer with experience working on high volume distributed systems
- Expert application profiler, experienced with JVM tuning etc
- Track record of building highly scalable and performant systems using cloud infrastructure
- Experienced with various types of data persistence and caching technologies - DynamoDB, Cassandra, Elasticache (Memcached, Redis)
- Solid troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Experience in CI/CD and deployment automation
- Deep understanding of AWS technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills, capable of leading
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare and dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Commuter perks
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health/person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We pride ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Careers at GumGum
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
Innovators in Esports Content
Sponsorship Targeting with Visual Intelligence
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)
GumGum - LinkedIn
GumGum is committed to providing equal opportunities. GumGum prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws (“Protected Characteristics”). It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.