Senior Application Operations Engineer (Tooling & Post Production Success)
Senior Application Operations Engineer (Tooling & Post-Production Success)
We are looking for a Senior Application Operations Engineer to join our Guidewire Customer and Cloud Operations (CCO) organization. The Senior Application Operations Engineer will be based in Dublin, Ireland, and will report to a Manager within the CCO organization, focused on Tooling & Post-Production Success.
The CCO team helps customers transform and evolve their business through the use of Guidewire’s software products and hosted infrastructure. As part of an entrepreneurial team in this rapidly growing business, you will help build Guidewire’s future business by shaping the future of how technology is used as a Software Service supporting the Insurance business.
We are Guidewire Software, and we're perhaps the best company to work for that you've never heard of. We are proud to be voted a “Top 3” employer on Glassdoor by our own employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner. We serve the second-largest financial services industry in the world (after banking), worth $2 trillion USD. We build the core applications that companies use to sell insurance policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of products serving the innovative needs of our customers in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We serve customers all over the world, helping them handle billions of dollars of business. This is a lucrative and underserved market, and we have grown rapidly through a combination of quality products, excellent service, innovative technology, and a passionate belief in our core values of rationality, collegiality & integrity.
As a Senior Application Operations Engineer for Guidewire’s Customer and Cloud Operations organization, you will solution and build or implement the tools required to support our operational teams to scale the Guidewire Cloud offering. You will work with key stakeholders across the CCO organization to identify the key operational difficulties that are faced and help to define requirements, build out solutions and manage the rollout of those solutions across our customers. You will be responsible for ensuring that our production applications can be adequately monitored and measured and that failures across our systems are alerted in a timely and effective manner. You will help to identify and implement third party solutions and identify and document the best practice usages for other teams within the CCO organization.
On a day to day basis, you may be involved in areas such as implementation of solutions, prototyping and development of new internal applications, refinement of operational tools and configuration to best support our production applications and the associated build and release management of these activities. As an early joiner to a new and growing team you will help to define the best practices and methodologies in use while collaborating closely with peers across our existing operational, client service and product development groups.
- We live by our core principles of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Your first responsibility is always to adhere to these principles in everything that you do.
- An understanding of the sense of urgency involved in a production system setting and the implications of any changes made to such.
- Understand all aspects of the Guidewire Cloud operating model and work directly with our internal operational teams to identify key challenges and opportunities for improvement through tooling and automation.
- Work to ensure that the Guidewire operational layer is standardized and consistent across our landscape of hosted customers to enable cost effective scaling of our Cloud solutions.
- Ensure that our overall monitoring solution is sufficient to meeting and maintaining strict client SLAs and their defined KPIs.
- Ensure that issues in production are identified in a timely manner and that operational teams are delivered the relevant information to support them in the triage and production restoration process.
- Configure third party solutions to ensure they best support our operational needs.
- Consult with customers to understand their unique monitoring and business operating requirements.
- Build confidence with the Guidewire Cloud hosted customer base that their systems are sufficiently monitored, that SLA expectations can be met or exceeded, and that operational concerns are mitigated in a Cloud hosted model.
- Promote a culture of incremental improvements which provide production improvements that benefit both the customer and internal operations.
- Take initiative in identifying cost saving opportunities and prototyping of solutions which would deliver post-production success and/or cost savings to our customers.
- Develop internal tools from the requirements gathering phase through to development, testing and production rollout.
- Proactively measure the success of all tooling initiatives once deployed.
- Document and assist in knowledge transfer, training and support to internal teams on the various tools implemented.
- Drive, align and work effectively with cross-functional teams across various disciplines (business, product, technology, corporate development, etc.) who may have competing priorities.
- Contribute to a team environment that will have both local and remote leadership.
- This role has potential for occasional travel to other Guidewire offices (U.S. and international).
- Guidewire Cloud is a service offering with defined contractual SLA’s. While the scope of daily activities will generally fall during normal business hours of the customer, occasional high priority work outside of established business hours may be necessary (i.e., to help with urgent customer issues).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent from higher education institution.
- Exposure to broad technical skills such as Object Oriented Programming (Java, C#, or similar), relational databases (data modeling/SQL), web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture.
- Ability to prioritize work effort based on a dynamic work environment
- Comfort being in a dynamic role that is not always fully defined and that will mature with our solution offerings.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Experience with commercial software such as customer incident tracking systems, work effort management, etc.
- Experience working in a team lead role/ capacity and mentoring others would be beneficial.
- Ability to estimate development tasks/stories.
- In-depth experience with a specific application performance monitoring or log aggregation tool would be nice. (AppDynamics or Sumo Logic would be preferred but not a must).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent from higher education institution.
- Preference given to candidates that have strong technical and software engineering background in particular in the areas of Cloud Computing (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), enterprise computing, servers, networking, and virtualization technology and products.
- Experience using an Agile based methodology.
- Experience working in a production setting.
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently while interacting with peers and engineers who often excel at these capabilities as well
- Proven experience with complete product life cycle in a production services environment, including design, implementation, load and scale testing, deployment and maintenance
- Experience working in an environment where cloud or off-premise enterprise applications have been utilized.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or knowledge is not necessary, but is nice to have
- Customer facing experience would be a nice, but not required.
As a team, our mission is to provide distinguished consulting and support services to prospects, partners, and customers which result in 100 percent reference-able customers which guides us in all that we do.
Guidewire has pursued one mission from its founding as a company in 2001: to be the pre-eminent provider of next-generation core systems — policy, claims, and billing — to the global property-casualty insurance industry. All of our employees understand that we serve only one industry and strive to solve one problem: to enable insurance carriers to migrate completely from legacy systems to a modern core system platform. We have recruited extensively among experts in the industry to ensure that we learn from veterans of insurance system design and implementation. Today, insurance experience is pervasive throughout the Guidewire organization, especially in our Product Management and Implementation Services groups. The company is headquartered in Foster City, California, US with offices in London, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Sydney, Toronto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and operations in Poland and mainland China. Guidewire is owned by its employees and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the call sign GWRE.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.