Senior Application Engineer – Customer & Cloud Operations
We are looking for Senior Application Engineers to join our Customer & Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
We are Guidewire Software, and we're perhaps the best company to work for that you've never heard of. We are proud to be voted a “Top 3” employer on Glassdoor by our own employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner. We serve the second-largest financial services industry in the world (after banking), worth $2 trillion USD. We build the core applications that companies use to sell insurance policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of products serving the innovative needs of our customers in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We serve customers all over the world, helping them handle billions of dollars of business. This is a lucrative and underserved market, and we have grown rapidly through a combination of quality products, excellent service, innovative technology, and a passionate belief in our core values of rationality, collegiality & integrity.
The primary mission of the Customer & Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team is to promptly respond to Guidewire Cloud production issues that are escalated to the team by the Guidewire Customer Support team. Sustaining Engineering team members must quickly determine the root cause of the issue and carry out restoration activities on the affected production system. To ensure that the defects are ultimately resolved, the team is accountable to quickly provide detailed root cause analysis reports to the team responsible for defect resolution.
So, we're looking for thoughtful, creative, and highly-skilled technical problem solvers who enjoy thinking through deep and challenging production problems, quickly identifying the fundamental issues and efficiently and effectively restoring the affected Cloud production system to ensure continued customer success. We particularly value clear and logical thinking, good communication skills, a focus on quality, and the ability to work well as part of a team.
If this sounds interesting and exciting to you...come and talk with us. During our interview process we'll work through some technical problems together, so we can see what it's like to work with you, and you can see first-hand how we all work together.
Recently, you may have heard of the drive for corporate enterprises to deploy applications in the cloud. This trend will impact our customers and industry in the same way it is forcing other industries to evolve. The Sustaining Engineering team is based in Dublin, Ireland and is a major part of our global Guidewire Customer & Cloud Operations team. The team in Kuala Lumpur will work with their global Sustaining Engineering colleagues to deploy and maintain our customers’ InsuranceSuite solutions in a Guidewire-hosted Cloud environment.
Senior Engineers are expected to provide technical leadership and mentorship to more junior members of the Sustaining Engineering team. They will also provide detailed Cloud-hosted production system support expertise, general architecture best practices awareness and guidance, and should be willing to expand their team leadership capability.
On the technical “hands on” side, Senior Engineers will play a pivotal role in many tasks related to the ongoing management and care of the customer’s production system. Key responsibilities include expert troubleshooting, system restoration, problem remediation and root cause analysis for production issues escalated from the Guidewire L2 Rapid Response team ensuring that Guidewire continues to meet our demanding SLA’s for all of our globally distributed Guidewire Cloud customers. Other facets of this role will include the detailed analysis of pre-production solutions to intercept potential performance or security issues prior to the customer solution being deployed into production on the Guidewire Cloud and also the design and implementation of internal tooling for use by the wider Customer & Cloud Operations team.
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership and responsibility for customer success. Sustaining Engineers in the Customer & Cloud Operations team are expected to be highly responsive and resourceful to manage customer production issues in a timely manner. Thus, the successful candidate must be skilled at developing and maintaining professional relationships with peers as well as colleagues in other departments and geographic locations.
- We live by our core principles of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Your first responsibility is always to adhere to these principles in everything that you do.
- Ability to work in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the potential for occasional travel internationally, specifically to our customers and to team building events.
- Learn and master Guidewire's Suite of products to perform Cloud-hosted production system restoration, spending your first two months in training to become a certified subject matter expert.
- Troubleshoot escalated Guidewire Cloud production solution failures or defects and provide solutions to effectively restore system functionality, providing Root Cause Analysis guidance to internal Guidewire or third-party teams to enable those teams to carry out post-restoration defect resolution.
- Play a lead role in the continued improvement of the Sustaining Engineering team’s operational processes.
- Provide general technical leadership to the other developer team members, including tasks such as work/task planning and sharing of technical experience and know-how with less senior team members.
- Partner with Guidewire delivery teams to understand each customer’s business objectives and integration requirements and rationalize those against established best practices you learn through your experience and that of your peers to ensure successful Guidewire Cloud-hosted production customer solutions.
- Document and build runbook procedures to enable our L2 Rapid Response team to independently handle common support tasks and issues
- Develop internal tooling using GOSU, JAVA, and XML (and other technologies) for use within the Customer & Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team.
- Contribute to technical assessments of incoming Guidewire Cloud-hosted solutions, ensuring that pre-production customer solutions meet our security and performance criteria and adhere to our coding standards
- Contribute to a team environment that will have both local and remote leadership
- Aspects of the position involve commitment to customer SLA’s. While the Sustaining Engineering team members will work during normal business hours, occasional high priority work outside of established business hours may be necessary (i.e. to help with high severity customer issues)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent from higher education institution
- 5+ years of work experience working in a technical development environment or capacity, with an introductory level of leadership experience in terms of design ownership or technical guidance or mentorship
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as Object Oriented programming (JAVA , C#, or similar), relational databases (data modeling/SQL), web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture
- Ability to prioritize work effort based on a dynamic work environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Software development lifecycle exposure (AGILE) preferred
- Experience with a commercial customer incident tracking or CRM system
- Experience using a software defect tracking system such as JIRA
- Experience working with leading cloud platform Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) providers such as AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Basic understanding of data-warehousing (DW) and BI Design best practices and techniques
- Basic understanding of relational database theory and related project experience (i.e. data modeling, normalization, OLAP theory, etc.)
As a team, our mission is to provide distinguished consulting and support services to prospects, partners, and customers which result in 100 percent reference-able customers which guides us in all that we do.
Guidewire has pursued one mission from its founding as a company in 2001: to be the pre-eminent provider of next-generation core systems — policy, claims, and billing — to the global property-casualty insurance industry. All of our employees understand that we serve only one industry and strive to solve one problem: to enable insurance carriers to migrate completely from legacy systems to a modern core system platform. We have recruited extensively among experts in the industry to ensure that we learn from veterans of insurance system design and implementation. Today, insurance experience is pervasive throughout the Guidewire organization, especially in our Product Management and Implementation Services groups. The company is headquartered in Foster City, California, US with offices in London, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Sydney, Toronto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and operations in Poland and mainland China. Guidewire is owned by its employees and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the call sign GWRE.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.