Architect – Sustaining Engineering - Exton, PA
We are looking for an experienced Architect to join our Customer & Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team in Exton, PA.
We are Guidewire Software, and we're perhaps the best company to work for that you've never heard of. We are proud to be voted a “Top 3” employer on Glassdoor by our own employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner. We serve the second-largest financial services industry in the world (after banking), worth $2 trillion USD. We build the core applications that companies use to sell insurance policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of products serving the innovative needs of our customers in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We serve customers all over the world, helping them handle billions of dollars of business. This is a lucrative and underserved market, and we have grown rapidly through a combination of quality products, excellent service, innovative technology, and a passionate belief in our core values of rationality, collegiality & integrity.
The primary mission of the Customer & Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team is to promptly respond to Guidewire Cloud production issues that are escalated to the team by the Guidewire L2 Rapid Response team. Sustaining Engineering Architects must quickly determine the root cause of the issue and carry out restoration activities on the affected production system and be the primary team lead for customer issues. To ensure that the defects are efficiently resolved, the Architect is an escalation point for the other team members to ensure Guidewire quickly provide detailed root cause analysis reports to the team responsible for defect resolution.
So, we're looking for decisive, highly-skilled technical problem solvers who enjoy leading and mentoring team members, through deep and challenging production problems, quickly identifying the fundamental issues and efficiently and effectively restoring the affected Guidewire Cloud production system to ensure continued customer success. We particularly value clear and logical thinking, good communication skills, a focus on quality, and the ability to work well as part of a global as well as local team.
If this sounds interesting and exciting to you...come and talk with us. During our interview process we'll work through some technical problems together, so we can see what it's like to work with you, and you can see first-hand how we all work together.
Recently, you may have heard of the drive for corporate enterprises to deploy applications in the cloud. This trend will impact our customers and industry in the same way it is forcing other industries to evolve. Architects will take on the role of Technical Duty Officer for escalated issues and will lead many tasks related to the ongoing management and care of the customer’s production system as well as providing mentoring and leadership to our team.
Key responsibilities include customer release planning, methodology support, expert troubleshooting, system restoration, problem remediation and root cause analysis for production issues escalated from the Guidewire L2 Rapid Response team ensuring that Guidewire continues to meet our demanding SLA’s for all of our globally distributed Guidewire Cloud customers. Other facets of this role will include the detailed analysis of pre-production solutions to intercept potential performance or security issues prior to the customer solution being deployed into production on the Guidewire Cloud and also the design and implementation of internal tooling for use by the wider Cloud Operations team.
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership and responsibility for customer success. Sustaining Engineers are expected to be highly responsive and resourceful to manage customer production issues in a timely manner. Thus, the successful candidate must be skilled at developing and maintaining professional relationships with peers as well as colleagues in other departments and geographic locations.
- We live by our core principles of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Your first responsibility is always to adhere to these principles in everything that you do.
- Ability to work in Exton, PA with the potential for occasional travel internationally, specifically to our customers and to team building events.
- Learn and master Guidewire's Suite of products to perform Cloud-hosted production system restoration, spending your first two months in training to become a certified subject matter expert.
- Act as Technical Duty Officer, taking ownership of escalated Guidewire Cloud production solution failures or defects and own all customer communications with the Sustaining Engineering team
- Troubleshoot issues occurring on Guidewire Cloud production solutions to effectively restore system functionality, providing Root Cause Analysis guidance to internal Guidewire or third-party teams to enable those teams to carry out post-restoration defect resolution, acting as internal escalation point when necessary.
- Document and build runbooks and KCS articles to enable our L2 Rapid Response team to independently handle common support tasks and issues
- Lead internal initiatives such as the development of internal tooling using GOSU, JAVA, and XML (and other technologies) for use within the Cloud Operations Sustaining Engineering team.
- Be a strong contributor to technical assessments of incoming Guidewire Cloud-hosted solutions, ensuring that pre-production customer solutions meet our security and performance criteria and adhere to our coding standards
- Aspects of the position involve commitment to customer SLA’s. While the Sustaining Engineering team members will work during normal business hours, occasional high priority work outside of established business hours may be necessary (i.e. to help with high severity customer issues)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent from higher education institution
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as Object Oriented programming (JAVA , C#, or similar), relational databases (data modeling/SQL), web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture
- Ability to work independently and within a team, providing mentoring support to other team members
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving and escalation-management skills
- 4+ years of work experience working in a technical development environment in a team or project lead capacity
- Software development lifecycle exposure (AGILE) preferred
- Experience with a commercial customer incident tracking or CRM system
- Experience using a software defect tracking system such as JIRA
- Ability to prioritize work effort based on a dynamic work environment
- Experience working with leading cloud platform Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) providers such as AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Basic understanding of data-warehousing (DW) and BI Design best practices and techniques
- Basic understanding of relational database theory and related project experience (i.e. data modeling, normalization, OLAP theory, etc.)
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.