Data and Analytics Engineer, InsuranceNow - San Jose, CA
Guidewire's development team is looking for a smart, proactive, and results-oriented Software Engineer to build elegant solutions for the property & casualty insurance industry's complex business domain and make our industry-leading products even better.
InsuranceNow product development team at Guidewire has an exciting opportunity for you! InsuranceNow product is an all-in-one core, data analytics and digital engagement system that provides comprehensive insurance business functionality. We are looking for mid to senior level experienced engineer, who will play a significant role in enhancing our Data and Analytics offering. If you don’t have any background in insurance domain, please don’t worry. We already have lot of folks with insurance domain knowledge, and they will collaborate with you to leverage the best of your skills., while you ramp up on insurance domain knowledge.
You will be part of highly collaborative team which leverages agile development methodology, pair programming and have fun with what they do every single day. You will have the opportunity to make an impact and contribute to a complex application suite of products that are mission-critical to several Property and Casualty Insurance companies.
This position is part of the InsuranceNow Data and Visualizations product, which provides financial, operational and customer experience business intelligence and analytics for Insurance Carriers and agencies. The product is built on top of AWS Redshift and uses Looker Platform for data modeling and visualizations.
Successful software engineers at Guidewire typically have:
- A desire to work collaboratively in an empowered, small, cross-functional team.
- Experience working in an agile development environment. (e.g. TDD, Agile, pair programming, etc.)
- A passion for code quality demonstrated by thorough testing.
- A desire to be hands-on in designing and writing code.
- Curiosity and internal motivation to constantly improve.
- Excellent communication skills, comfort level to speak their mind and defend ideas based on merit, yet humility and hunger to learn from others.
Key qualifications for the specific position are:
- 3-5 years of experience with using data warehouse, data lake, or relational databases to build analytical and reporting applications.
- Solid understanding of SQL and relational databases, and ability to create analytical data models on top of transactional databases.
- Experience with Analytics/Business Intelligence tools such as Looker (which is what we use), Microsoft BI, Tableau, SAP Business Objects is a must have.
- Familiarity with Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, etc.
- Object-Oriented Design: knowledge of one of the following required: Java, C++ or object-oriented Python
- Agile development practices.
- Cloud Services (e.g. AWS) knowledge is a huge plus.
- Understanding of Single-Sign-On, SAML, Authentication/Authorization, etc. concepts is a big plus.
- Basic knowledge of data science, statistics, and search technologies such as Elasticsearch, Lucene/Solr is a plus.
A typical candidate has some experience with Computer Science or equivalent.
The ideal candidate will share our core values: Collegiality, Integrity, and Rationality.
Collegiality - We value strong teams. We work together as professional equals. We strive to continuously improve our processes and make realistic assumptions to maintain a reasonable work-life balance. We are trusted to manage our own time. We value ideas, not titles. We welcome and consider contrary opinions.
Integrity - We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality - We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We believe in testing. We never assume that we're building software the "best" way, and constantly seek to improve our processes.
See and hear from our employees at https://careers.guidewire.com/
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Intermediate to Senior
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.