Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud Data Platform - San Mateo, CA
Guidewire is widely recognized as the leading provider of software solutions for the P&C Insurance industry and is actively working to extend its market leadership by delivering the next generation of cloud solutions to solve key challenges our customers face.
We are looking for a proven cloud data platform manager to join our world-class leadership team as Technology Lead Cloud Data Platform. Reporting directly to Senior Director of Engineering- Data & Analytics, you will drive the Guidewire approach for building large scale multi-tenant cloud native data platforms and define strategy and execution road-map.
Do you thrive in a fast paced environment and have an established history of technical expertise and management responsibility? Are you technical hands-on engineering leader who is passionate about technology, engineering management and people leadership? Come join our Data platform and Analytics team. This team owns, builds, and operates Guidewire’s cloud native data platform and analytics SaaS offerings. Guidewire’s data platform is targeted to be best-in-class in enabling our customers with mission critical insights and decision-making capabilities. The platform is designed to support all of our analytics, data science, and data applications. You will work in a highly collaborative environment building next generation platform and services.
What you’ll do
- Manage multiple teams to deliver world-class Data platform and Analytics SaaS solutions
- Scale the team by developing internal leaders (managers and senior IC’s) and attracting world-class talent
- Provide technical guidance and leadership for a team of managers and 25+ engineers
- Engage with key business stakeholders to define the roadmap and vision for a variety of our products
- You will foster an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical adviser
- You will work with your manager, product managers and peers to ensure alignment of your team's work with larger Data platform and analytic organization's roadmap
- You will plan and support career development of other managers and ICs
- You will recruit and retain talent
- Hold regular 1:1s with managers, ICs, help them navigate challenges, and coach them for their career development
- 5+ years of experience in people management, ideally leading a team size of 25+ and managing other managers
- Extensive experience as an engineer in a product focused development environment
- Highly technical hands-on and an effective people leader
- Experience in driving and retaining a high-performing team
- Experience in leading managers and ICs
- Experience in leading full-stack engineering teams
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment
- You’re driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Humbleness - you’re willing to get into the details and you’re open to feedback
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity
- You had/have extensive coding and architecture experience
- A huge bonus would be your prior experience in building data platforms using Big Data stack (Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Hive ..) on public cloud
- AWS (EMR, S3, Glue, Kinesis..)
- Experience of building SaaS/PaaS on AWS/GCP/Azure..
Collegiality - We value strong teams. We work together as professional equals. We strive to continuously improve our processes and make realistic assumptions to maintain a reasonable work-life balance. We are trusted to manage our own time. We value ideas, not titles. We welcome and consider contrary opinions.
Integrity - We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality - We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We believe in testing. We never assume that we're building software the "best" way, and constantly seek to improve our processes.
Download our Culture and Values deck:
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.