Comms Planning Manager - Mars Chocolate
We’re looking for a highly motivated and strategically-minded media planner to join our fun and energetic team, working on Mars - the 2nd biggest global account in the agency!
The roles sits within the Mars Wrigley Confectionery (MWC) team with key responsibility to deliver of communications planning for four distinct brands; Mars Bar, Skittles and Starburst.
3 key functions of the role:
1) After several years of inactivity, Mars Bar faces the challenges of not only rebuilding brand salience, but also creating equity amongst younger Millennial consumers with whom the brand currently has low resonance. To do so, we need to design communications that are rooted in digital-first and content-rich. We do so by working closely with the creative agency, media partners and charity partners and as such, this role demands a solid understanding of emerging digital platforms and industry partners, experience ideally working on brand where Millennials have been key to business growth and comfort in deep collaboration with multiple agency stakeholders/partners.
2) Skittles is one of the most exciting brands to work on within the portfolio. With an established platform in Taste the Rainbow, the brand is flexing its communication muscles in new media territories and exploring the value of purpose-driven marketing in driving relevance with a youth audience.
3) Starburst is a smaller brand within the Candy portfolio but, one that is looking to grow and has a great brand platform to do so ’Unbelievably Juicy’. Demand for creative media thinking that can make tighter budget work hard in delivering brand growth.
As a One Mars Team we take collective responsibility for planning across 4 segments and 22+ brands. We thus encourage sharing of team responsibilities. Pending passing probation, we may therefore extend your remit to include responsibility for further brands (within Mars or on another agency client)
3 best things about the job:
1. We have a great team feel, team Mars feels like an agency within the agency!
2. The work is extremely strategic, with the buying function coming out of another agency, it is a chance to develop a more strategic focus and move away from implementation (and finance queries)
3. Mars is an important account for the business and the (2nd biggest globally) and we talk about chocolate every day!
Measures of success
In three months, you would have:
• Developed a clear understanding of how the business operates and Mars marketing code, including Media Key Beliefs, Laws of Growth and their Insight and Measurement procedures.
• Gained an understanding of the brand platforms and how media can play a role in bringing the creative strategies to life
• Cultivated close working relationships with key clients and agency stakeholders
In six months, you would have:
• Developed understanding of all aspects of how the agency makes money and works in conjunction with the buying agency
• Become the lead contact for clients
• Started the end to end comms planning process for the two brands, alongside the creative agency
In 12 months, you would have:
• Positioned yourself as a trusted partner, someone the clients can lean on for strategic guidance and industry understanding
• Played a role in winning new business by participating in various pitch workstreams
Responsibilities of the role:
• Managing the day to day communications with the Mars chocolate clients, predominantly on Mars Bar, Skittles and Starburst but, with some time spent working on portfolio requests.
• Playing a lead role in developing and presenting strategic media thinking in line with creative developments.
• Working with CID (strategy team) members to articulate the role for comms within each brief.
• Working with global media leads to share and reapply good work from around the globe and, where called upon, to work with global agency partners in development of comms as lead market.
• Developing systems led and data fuelled media strategies and presenting these with enthusiasm and passion in client meetings.
• Managing a positive and mutual relationship with AMV BBDO and Adam&Eve DDB, who our Mars creative agency partners.
• Contributing to the development of junior members of the team.
What you will need:
• An understanding or interest in the FMCG landscape and experience within a comms planning function.
• Experience working with brands that have a Millennial audience opportunity.
• A strong understanding of the UK media landscape – including digital.
• The desire to properly diagnose the challenges our clients present us.
• Evidenced ability to apply rigour to the planning process, to gain trust from our analytical clients.
• The ability to simplify data (Qual and Quant) into a clear strategic opportunity.
• Data-literate with an awareness and experience of available data resources and how to turn data into insight.
• An ability or the intention to treat that plan as an interconnected system and taking steps to get this system working optimally to drive client outcomes.
• Content-literate - an understanding of what content works best in different contexts, and when to use branded content or partnerships vs advertising. Relationships with emerging publishers and partners within this space is cirtical.
• Compelling and enthusiastic storyteller – Mars associates are friendly, enthusiastic and have endless amounts of energy for the brands which they work on. The ability to mirror this is crucial.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, GlaxoSmithKline, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view every individual as exactly that, individual. We hire despite peoples differences, not because of them. We understand that inclusion is more than just diversity. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique. That’s what makes us so good at what we do. At GroupM we pride ourselves on being a company that can truly represent the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you can email us via email@example.com.