AV (TV) Planner Buyer - Mars
At MediaCom we are expanding our remit for Mars to include buying as well as comms planning and we are proud of the heritage and expertise we bring. This is proven by not only winning Agency of the Year at 2018 MediaWeek Awards but also by the individual awards we won for Snickers innovation as well as Best Use of Audio with Spotify. Moving into 2019 on Mars we have a unique industry leading & transformative media vision at the heart of which is the use of data applied intelligently to drive more effective demand and conversion. We need the best people to help drive this forwards as we build a team fit for the future.
Overview of job
MediaCom handles the media planning and buying for some of the world's smartest advertisers. Supported by keen consumer insight, analysis and experience, we are part of the largest media planning and buying network in the world.We are the only agency to simultaneously hold the title of Agency Network of the Year across all 5 of the industry’s biggest awards, whilst MediaCom London has recently been named the Number 1 agency in the world in the 2018 Gunn 100 report.
We are looking for a diligent buyer with at least one year of TV buying experience and has knowledge across other AV channels such as Online Video, Addressable TV, OOH TV, Cinema and Radio, so they are equipped to work on one of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers; Mars UK.
Reporting of the roleThis role reports directly into the AV Manager on the account and to Gary Cook (AV Investment Lead), along with reporting into relevant Trading Heads regarding value management, quality and channel coordination.
3 best things about the job:
The creativity and rigour Mars bring to the planning and buying of media is right at the forefront of the industry globally, and will push the boundaries of what MediaCom have to offer – so you will be working with THE BEST people within THE BEST agency in the world.
- This account will require an entirely new way of working within AV, with brand new industry-leading tools and entirely innovative approaches to data. Becoming an expert on these tools will constantly challenge and inspire the right candidate who will then act as a champion for this new way of working within the wider agency.
- Becoming an instant MediaCom celebrity! With the importance of the Mars account to MediaCom, the successful candidate will get a lot of face to face time with senior MediaCom stakeholders.
- Unlimited supply of chocolate!
- Worked with the AV Manager on the account to put in place processes and streamlining ways of working.
- Start to build a strong relationship with the rest of the Mars team in Comms Planning and Connect.
- Have confidence and clarity in communicating with the Mars team, media owners and client.
- Have a strong understanding of the Mars account and their approach to AV.
- Have regular contact with the client, keeping them up to date on all TV matters.
- Ensuring all buying is gold standard and all campaign objectives are met without error.
- Monitoring the administration of the client’s account, ensuring all bookings and PO numbers are accurate and on the system.
- Developed an efficient and effective way of working within the AV and Planning team to ensure Mars’ reach goals are achieved in the most efficient and effective way possible.
- Developed a good grasp of the Mars account and how the various teams in the agency interact to produce best in class AV work.
- Start to understand the commercial aspects of the Mars account (their business and ours).
- Help deliver all pitch commitments to Mars as evaluated by Ebiquity.
- Know the Mars account from a buying perspective inside out.
The Mars Video team will be a team within a team. MediaCom has recently restructured into 6 Business Units – and the Mars Team sits within the largest of these, Business Group 2 (internally known as Planes, Brains and Automobiles – due to Air France, Peugeot, and a preponderance of brains!)
You will work as part of a team of 6 video specialists who will plan and buy all video campaigns for Mars. With some of the UK’s most challenging targets this team will need to be the best of the best – every member of the Mars team will need to have a very strong understanding of how video works, be an innovator, and have a willingness to learn.
We will be rolling out MediaCom’s newest and most impactful video planning and buying system, MVideo, on the Mars account, which means the whole team will need to develop a new way of working which will enormously improve the way video reach is planned and bought – not just for Mars but across the entire business.
The AV Investment Buyer will work with another buyer on the account and have support from an AV Investment Executive to ensure campaigns are delivered to the agreed criteria and in line with audit requirements.
The Buyer will monitor and push the development and quality of output from the Executive, who they must inspire and challenge, ensuring they are motivated and given the right opportunities to develop their video and multimedia knowledge – understanding the role of all video channels, how they interlink and the role that they can play in a wider multimedia system.
Along with the Manager on the account, the Buyer will take part in the commercial exchange process and ensure the Comms Planning and Connect teams are aware of market moves and commercial opportunities.
The Buyer must have strong negotiation skills and be able to fight for the very best airtime possible and be able to operate as part of a wider team. The Buyer must ensure plans are delivered at maximum reach for the lowest cost and highest quality and be responsible for their individual output.
What you will need:
- At least 1 year TV buying experience
- Knowledge of the UK TV marketplace, along with other AV media such as radio, cinema and VOD
- Attention to detail is key
- Organised and be able to prioritise tasks
- Drive and enthusiasm to work on a massive client
- Knowledge of industry media buying tools (all media e.g. BARB, Media Ocean, Caria, Prisma and Jet)
- Pro-actively forge relationships with media owners
- Commercially astute and excellent negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and good communicator
- Collaborative and ability to build strong relationships
- Excellent numeracy skills
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, Coca-Cola, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view every individual as exactly that, individual. We hire despite peoples differences, not because of them. We understand that inclusion is more than just diversity. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique. That’s what makes us so good at what we do. At GroupM we pride ourselves on being a company that can truly represent the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you can email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.