Business Director - WM Play
Job Title: Comms Planning Business Director/Client Lead
Reporting to: Managing Partner
WM Play was created to provide better focus and leadership for Entertainment clients, acknowledging that clients in this sector have particular needs that require specialist skills. WM Play is the most collaborative, creative and innovative team in the agency,
We live and breathe Ents – endlessly discussing our favorite films, games and TV. We work with some of the most exciting global entertainment brands spanning film, TV and gaming. Key accounts include Netflix, Paramount, Ubisoft and the Premier League.
WM Play operates as an agency within an agency; currently a team of around 25 but growing rapidly. We offer the best of both worlds; the agility and client focus of a boutique shop but with all the support, tools, specialisms and trading power of a top 3 agency.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Business Director / Client Lead to join WM Play.
Working closely with Managing Partner, Digital and Activation Leads you will be the main client contact across Paramount, Netflix and the Premier League. These are fast paced and exciting accounts where we have excellent relationships with the clients.
In addition, you be part of the leadership team shaping WM Play to ensure that it is delivering growth, developing staff and remaining fit for purpose as the entertainment market evolves and disrupts existing models.
The successful candidate will be able to
- Create unbreakable bonds with our clients though great account management
- Lead a team to deliver best quality work for our clients and profitability for the agency
- Create a collaborative, inspiring and hardworking environment for all team members.
- Coach their team to become best possible media practitioners.
- Instigate and facilitate purchase journey planning that is unique, distinctive and admired
- Add to the agency culture by having a role in the wider agency on non-client specific tasks.
Have the ability to create extremely strong relationships with our clients. Be the person clients respect and value and want on their business. Implement a set of processes, deliverables and behaviours that mark Wavemaker out as unique, distinctive and admired. Possess a high level of enthusiasm, care for the business and desire to make a difference. Man-mark senior clients and adeptly learn their business, objectives and ways of working
Strategy & Planning:
- Ensure Rapid Growth Planning (WM’s planning approach) is delivered across all client work. Using internal WM and external tools to build a deep understanding of the consumer, the client business and its specific Purchase Journey opportunities.
- Define the tasks for media, tech and content investment, develop channel roles and investment priorities based around tasks
- Responsible for always challenging and provoking the client, bringing new thinking, approaches and creativity powered by insights and data
- Be the clients’ first point of contact for approach and recommendations
- Able to articulate to senior clients the key deliverables around their campaigns
- Confident in discussing and managing all potential communications touchpoints across the purchase journey, whether media, content, data or technology
- Ultimately accountable for the output on your clients’ business, working with Account Directors to create and control the process.
- Manage a team of communications planners within the integrated client team, with direct line management responsibility for Account Directors.
- Instill a culture of curiosity across the entire team, with a high level of proficiency and use of Wavemaker tools partnered with analysis of broader cultural developments.
- Work closely with the Digital & Activation Leads to ensure the team’s combined skill, development and training is monitored and managed to enhance outcomes for clients and team alike.
- Ensure ongoing training, career development and pastoral needs are met and managed for all staff within your team.
Campaign Management & Performance:
- Full ownership and quality control the output on your accounts. Crisis manage where required.
- Rounded media knowledge. A robust background in media is essential, with extensive channel knowledge and detailed experience of media implementation – and the resultant ability to problem solve.
- Ensure every brief has a clear set of measurable outcomes & team is aligned to these.
- Overall responsibility for meeting and exceeding targets.
- Ensure the client and specialist teams are clear on what the target outcomes are.
- Commercially minded. Has an excellent commercial understanding of contracts and scopes of work, ensuring that we remain within these and deliver on commitments. Responsible for delivering against PRF requirements outlined in client contracts. Is conscious of client servicing scores and guides the team to ensure a continuous improvement of them.
- Contribute to department growth and profitability through identification of opportunities to increase revenues and efficiencies. Manages agency resource to deliver the most effective and efficient client deliveries and profitability of each piece of business.
- Understand commercial and trading relationships and work with activation and commercial teams to help deliver these.
- Budget control. Understands the importance of sound financial awareness, engenders strong financial accounting and admin across the team. Excellent attention to detail.
- Pitch-ready. Has actively participated in new business projects and pitches.
Innovation & Collaboration:
- Make WM Play famous by ensuring that award worthy work happens.
- Work with broader WM Play team to identify proactive, emerging opportunities with the potential to step change growth
- Lead the strategy and planning on WM Play pitches (with support from Managing Partner)
- Create strong productive working relationships with the planning and strategy teams of external agencies and media owners
- Be the glue that ensures excellent collaboration between all functions within the integrated team
Technical Skills & Experience:
- Extensive media planning experience with a strong preference for Entertainment experience
This role comes with the opportunity to be part of WM’s Strategy Board – the Strategy Boards are 5 or 6 boards tasked with running key strategic initiatives on behalf of the agency. It is the second most senior body of leaders within the agency below the Exco. The Boards meet fortnightly as independent bodies and also meet all together twice yearly to review achievements and agree strategic focus for following 6 months.
Membership of the Strategy Board is by election and based on performance and contribution, and is therefore not guaranteed.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.