Comms Planning Manager - Sky Broadband
Overview of job
We are looking for an ambitious and driven Planning Manager to join the Sky Communications Planning team at Mediacom. Working within the Broadband team, the Planner will be an integral part of the planning process and will work with Associate Director to deliver innovative campaigns across all channels with one of the biggest advertising budgets in the UK. The successful candidate will get to work across the entire campaign life cycle – from strategy to execution.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Associate Director
The three best things about the job:
- The work: Every brief is different. We have huge budgets and a desire/expectation to drive change which allows us the opportunity to deliver creative & innovative planning solutions. In the past year we’ve worked on campaigns delivering understanding around Sky’s “Tech Team” supported by Lego Batman, delivered a targeted campaign to “Talk” audience involving strategic media partnerships and communicated the speed and benefits of Sky Fibre Max with the help of the Minions & Despicable Me 3.
- The agency: as the biggest team in the agency, working on the Sky team means you will work with multiple departments within Mediacom and gives you exposure to & support from senior stakeholders. The role offers huge opportunities to learn from some of the most knowledgeable people in the industry working in a senior and talented team. Outside of your Sky role there are always opportunities to get involved in other projects (planning department projects, new business pitches, stretch sessions etc). All of which provides an incredible opportunity to progress within the UK’s largest agency.
- The client: we pride ourselves on our excellent client relationships & this role will give you access to a wide range of knowledgeable and senior clients in the media & marketing teams. Work is incredibly varied which means there are constant opportunities to hone your presentation, strategic planning & client management skills. As well as working with our key client contacts we liaise with a number of different departments within Sky as well as other external agencies in order to deliver on briefs. It’s big, sociable, fast & fun.
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Mastered the basics of the Sky account, the broadband category and the ways of working between all Mediacom teams/departments
- Been an active participant in client meetings and started to own relationships with key client contact
- Taken up the responsibility of managing & developing the Senior Planner & Planner on the team.
In six months, you would have:
- Developed a great relationship with multiple stakeholders. Clients and internal teams will see you as someone who they trust and someone who is not afraid to challenge them.
- Developed an understanding of the MediaCom planning process and showcased it
- Provided actionable insights from media, competitors, people, media performance or culture that enrich media planning and challenged conventional thinking
- Worked with the Associate Director to facilitate strategy and ideation sessions with key internal stakeholders
- Owned several client briefs and worked in tandem with the planning, strategy and connect teams to deliver innovative solutions
- Been integral to ensuring the smooth delivery of media plans and ensured that campaign performance (both brand and response) is reported in a useful and actionable manner
In 12 months, you would have:
- Become a trusted advisor to the client who will be coming to you with challenging problems
Responsibilities of the role:
The Planning Manager should:
- Work openly and collaboratively with immediate Planning teams, Investment teams and external agencies in order to help develop strategic solutions, plans and innovative ideas
- Have a thorough knowledge of all media channels and keep abreast of all new and emerging media opportunities
- Oversee all current campaigns and work with relevant teams to ensure the seamless execution and implementation of campaigns. Be able to provide instantaneous campaign updates to senior management and clients.
- Develop an understanding and champion Mediacom’s 2020 Planning process
- Help to keep track of budgetary and financial information for all campaigns
- Have/develop a strong knowledge of desktop research and planning tools (e.g. AdDynamix, TGI) and use these to glean important insight
- Be able to find actionable insights from the real world by speaking to real people
- Demonstrate an active interest in Sky’s business, marketplace and audiences, and identify relevant opportunities that arise
- Demonstrate an active interest in competitor activity and communicate relevant information and learnings to Sky through updates and formal reports
- Willingly meet media owners relevant to the client’s business and feedback relevant opportunities to the wider team
- Analyse research studies and current trends to identify key insights and communicate these to Sky when applicable
- Be an active participant in meetings by either leading or contributing
- Take a proactive approach in solving client queries
- Develop stim and direction to ensure the smooth running of stretch sessions.
- Lead the development, sell-in and delivery of planning work on projects below
- Own the internal brief and developing briefs that are inspirational, rigorous and clear
- Develop good relationships with other departments that work on the account to help you get things done
- Manage, and delegate effectively to, the junior members of the team (a senior planner and planner/exec) and identify opportunities to further their development.
What you will need:
- An ambition and tenacity to make the ordinary extraordinary – pushing the work to be more creative, more innovative, and more effective and an inquisitive mind coupled the ability to look beyond the obvious
- Be able to view the clients’ channels as an interconnected system and taking steps to get this system working optimally to drive client outcomes
- Be able to spot the real issue behind the brief – knowing how the challenge the client to understand what they really need
- The ability to plan against client outcomes – quantifying objectives and the likely impact of comms on them; understands bottom-up response-based planning; able to set a measurement approach
- Able to spot the potential in an idea and nurture those ideas to fruition
- Ideally you will need a Marketing/Business/Advertising related degree and/or relevant marketing experience
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to flex delivery as necessary
- A thirst for learning about technology, trends, media, people, brands and the industry
- Excellent organisational skills, meaning you are adept at managing a diverse workload and are able to appropriately prioritise tasks
- Strong Microsoft Office skills with particular emphasis on Powerpoint, Excel and Word
- Ability to translate information clearly in Powerpoint and develop a way of story-telling through presentations
- An open and collaborative attitude
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, GlaxoSmithKline, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view every individual as exactly that, individual. We hire despite peoples differences, not because of them. We understand that inclusion is more than just diversity. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique. That’s what makes us so good at what we do. At GroupM we pride ourselves on being a company that can truly represent the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you can email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.