Working in BU2
Business unit 2 contains some of the highest profile and exciting clients at MediaCom, each representing a slightly different challenge to us as an agency.
This role will involve working across all the clients in the group in some form or another, from the automotive sector for PSA and Vauxhall, right through to the FMCG sector for Muller and Mars. These clients continue to be at the forefront of the advertising industry by driving innovation and effectiveness. At MediaCom we are proud of the heritage and expertise we bring. This is proven by not only winning Agency of the Year at 2018 MediaWeek Awards but also multiple other media specific awards throughout 2018.
Overview of job
MediaCom handles the media planning and buying for some of the world's smartest advertisers. Supported by keen consumer insight, analysis and experience, we are part of the largest media planning and buying network in the world.
We are looking for a diligent person with very little or no media experience who has the drive and ambition to work on one of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers; Mars UK. The individual will be trained to buy across all publishing channels such as National press, magazines, digital, and partnerships, so they are equipped to work on some of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers.
3 best things about the job:
The creativity and rigor that underpins the work we do in the business unit is right at the forefront of the industry globally and will push the boundaries of what MediaCom have to offer – so you will be working with THE BEST people within THE BEST agency in the world.
- There are several new clients to the business unit without established processes yet, so you will be heavily involved in optimising and streamlining these processes to determine the most effective way of working across the different teams
- Opportunity to be instantly well known within the agency (for all the right reasons). High profile accounts such as the ones with whom you will be working, mean that you will receive exposure to very senior stakeholders in the business from day 1.
- Working in Publishing comes with its fair share of perks, so it’s not all work and no play.
In three months, you will:
- Build strong relationships internally with your colleagues, Connect counterparts and Comms Planners on your account, as well as key media owners.
- Independently buy and monitor multiple campaigns.
- Attend any training relevant to your new role
- Develop an understanding of the commercial agreements for each of the clients in the business unit.
- Understand all commercial avenues such as trading deals, barter, inventory trading and how they’re important to the business.
- Knowledge of industry media planning tools
- Have an induction into digital buying and start to work alongside the digital manager to learn about everything from negotiation to reporting
In six months, you will:
- Own the finance process for your clients, handling the PO tracker for publishing, approving billing etc
- Confident to solve day to day issues independently
- Work with Connect to understand how responses to brief are constructed cross media.
- Be involved in the process of a partnership, from briefing to buying.
- Work with the digital manager in the team to establish a sound understanding of digital buying and begin to buy digital campaigns independently
In 12 months, you will:
- Deliver gold standard buying from both a quality and value perspective.
- Presenting – explore relevant opportunities to ensure presenting is an ongoing part of your role
- Begin to renegotiate annual client deals with print publishers.
- Successfully deliver contractual agreements across your client(s) and attend an audit
Responsibilities of the role:
- Buying multiple campaigns across multiple clients including PSA, Vauxhall, TUI, Muller and Akzo Nobel, managing any clashes between any of the brands
- Monitoring and tracking any value requirements for different plans
- Working with ops to ensure all plans are added to the system correctly, and on time
- Keeping creative agency updated with plans
- Monitoring positioning (with ops) and pushing for improvements where necessary
You will work as part of a team of 8 publishing specialists who will plan and buy all publishing campaigns for the business unit. With some of the UK’s most challenging targets this team will need to be the best of the best – every member of the team will need to have a very strong understanding of how publishing/digital works, be an innovator, and have a willingness to learn.
The Publishing Investment Buying Executive is a crucial support role within the wider investment team and will help to buy campaigns across all accounts and report directly into the Senior Buyer and Manager on the team. The Buying Executive will fulfil a range of tasks such as booking in media schedules, collating and perfecting positions for our clients, attending internal and external supplier meetings, tracking, reconciling and helping to create client PCAs as well as negotiating on the phone with media owners.
What you will need:
- Strong numeracy skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communicator
- Organised and be able to prioritise tasks
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Self-motivated and ambitious
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Able to develop strong personal relationships
- Up for the challenge of helping shape the commercial product of MediaCom.
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, Coca-Cola, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view every individual as exactly that, individual. We hire despite peoples differences, not because of them. We understand that inclusion is more than just diversity. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique. That’s what makes us so good at what we do. At GroupM we pride ourselves on being a company that can truly represent the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you can email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.