GroupM serve as the parent company to WPP media agencies Wavemaker, MediaCom, MindShare, Essence and M/SIX.
Our primary purpose is to maximise the performance of WPP’s media communications agencies on behalf of our clients, our shareholders and our people by operating as a parent and collaborator in performance-enhancing activities such as trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities.
The agencies that comprise GroupM are all global operations in their own right, with leading market positions.
The focus of GroupM is the intelligent application of physical and intellectual scale to benefit trading, innovation, and new communication services, to bring unfair competitive advantage to our clients and our companies.
About the Team
This role sits within the central finance team of GroupM UK reporting into the Head of Reporting. The role will work closely with the Senior Financial Controller, GroupM Head of FP&A and the GroupM Head of Operations as well as the Agency teams.
The Role Objective
The Financial Controllers within GroupM are responsible for leading accurate and timely financial reporting; maintaining a framework of robust and efficient control processes; promoting process improvement and business partnering on cost control within the agencies. Your key objectives will be to support on the creation of one aligned, efficient and effective reporting function that provides the required monthly reporting to WPP (P&L and Balance Sheet) and internal Management Information to all the agencies and operating units that make up GroupMUK.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Ensure accurately and timely reporting of month-end P&Ls and Balance sheets
- Assist in aligning, standardisation and improvement of financial reporting, business processes and financial management across the Agencies
- Produce Management Information provided to the management of Agencies based on actuals
- Manage cost control across within the Agency through analysing of costs, identifying areas of potential cost reduction
- Understand income streams and revenue movements within the P&L
- Support on Agency headcount resource, hire requests and cost management
- Provide forecast data to the Head of FP&A supported by fully analysed future costs
- Manage all elements of the Balance Sheet with all accounts reconciled monthly
- Review and approval of monthly payroll
- Ownership for external, internal and SOX audits and continual development of the internal governance and control framework
- Lead and co-ordinate the annual budget setting and quarterly forecast
- Work alongside Finance Plus to transition and review transactional elements of reporting and statutory accounts
- Manage, support and develop more junior members of the team to actively train and improve staff knowledge and experience
- Relationship management of key group contacts across the Agencies, GroupM UK, GroupM EMEA and Finance Plus
- Provide any ad-hoc reporting requested by the GroupM CFO / HoR / HFP&A
Skills and Experience
- Fully qualified accountant or equivalent (e.g. CIMA, ACA, ACCA) Minimum 5+ years post qualification
- Ability to coach and develop talent, bringing the best out in people
- Ability to interpret and manipulate data in a logical manner
- Ability to concisely and clearly present information to financial and non-financial people
- Professionalism and pride in accuracy and on-time delivery
- Confidence to lead on projects
- Previous knowledge of WPP financial working practices
- Understanding of media and communications industry
- Commercial mindset and ability to think in an agile way
- Previous SOX experience or equivalent
- Proficient user of Excel, Cartesis and MediaOcean
- Must show a proactive approach to problem solving
- Desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large team and across the Agencies
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view every individual as exactly that, individual. We hire despite peoples differences, not because of them. We understand that inclusion is more than just diversity. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique. That’s what makes us so good at what we do. At GroupM we pride ourselves on being a company that can truly represent the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you can email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.